Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there are any dentists on the SOTW forum.
I just had a wisdom tooth pulled and was wondering how long I should lay off the horn for?
It was pulled in the chair with no stitches.
I don’t want to loose the clot, so any advice appreciated.
Thanks Nick.

·
3,002 Posts
I just had a wisdom tooth pulled and was wondering how long I should lay off the horn for?
Thanks Nick.
I had mine done the same way, albeit 15 years ago. I remember giving them a couple of weeks and then eased back into it. It felt weird, my jaw sat differently without them.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Benny.
I only had one removed on this occasion but it is the second one to go.
Both on my right side are gone now.
I thought it would only be about a week without playing, but looks like I should count on a couple.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
did that too prior to a gum operation (in two go’s) and they told me to not play for at least 2 weeks. Good luck with all of it.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Milandro.
Looks like it’s 2 weeks then.
I did ask the dentist but she wasn’t sure.
I didn’t press the issue as I was in a hurry to get out of there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
I was told that there is always the possibility that there is a cavity open under the tooth which connects with the inner core of your bone and that’s why you should leave it alone (to better clarify, one week each tooth if you do it separately, two weeks )

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks Nick.
I had 4 out at once right before my sophomore year of college. I'm pretty sure I was back playing in the wind ensemble about 2-3 weeks after the fact.

·
2,853 Posts
I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled at the same time and I found that it was a good time to just listen for a couple of weeks........

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I've had all four of my wisdom teeth removed as an adult in my early to mid 30's (two each in two separate procedures). I think a lot of the fear over this is really overblown. I was freaking out as well the first time I had it done. I hadn't been to a dentist in years, and of course I got an infection and they had to come out a week before I wa due to start daily rehearsals/gigs for a 6 week show with a company I'd never worked for before. I went into see a dentist I'd never seen before expecting to get some antibiotics and came out with to less teeth! I explained the whole situation though (hoping that I could delay the procedure until after my gig, but no dice) and the dentist said he didn't see any reason why I couldn't be playing in a day or two. Out of an abundance of caution, I took the max time off that I could, then with great trepidation started playing again. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. Had no problems what-so-ever. About five years later when I had the same thing happen and had to get the two on the other side done I think I was playing the next day. I should mention though, mine were a standard extraction, not surgical, although a few of them were somewhat difficult. I remember the dentist saying at first that they would pop right out, but he was obviously having trouble with one, and when he took a break for a minute I asked the assistant "this is going so well, is it" and she's like "No, no it's not"...lol, not what I wanted to hear! In the end though it didn't matter as far as my healing. Turns out that my roots were twisted weird or something. I think he had to crack that one to get it out. Anyway, it was no big deal. Also, never took anything more powerful than Advil afterwards.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My dad pulled out my wisdom teeth. (Oh, let me add that he was a dentist.)

Had to crack them inside my mouth to extract, due to their position.

My sister was his assistant. She waved the hypodermic of novacaine around my face intoning “The Needle. . . The Needle....”

Here’s my advice: be sure to rinse out your mouth with warm salty water after meals, to insure food bits don’t collect in the remaining pockets. If food gets in and stays, the pockets can close up over,the food and become infected. Just be sure to rinse this way for a week or two. It’s simple and keeps things clean. Infected tooth pockets really hurt. Clean ones will heal and close up naturally.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I had gum surgery not too long ago, and I was told going in that I would not be able to play (or eat solid food!) for two weeks. About ten days after the surgery I had a follow-up visit and the periodontist told me I had healed up nicely and could play (and eat!) again. Not sure how well this applies to your situation, but my guess is that "two weeks" is probably a standard estimate for these kinds of things, and it's probably not unusual for people to heal up sooner. So my GUESS is that it's something like 10-14 days, and it's probably best to err on the side of caution and go the full 14. It sucks not being able to play, but it'll be over before you know it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i had two impacted uppers removed in my 40s, and i found i had to let go of soprano for a while, which at the time was my only horn. eventually bought a tenor and was fine with that. and when i did return to soprano, i changed to a C* and never quite got back to my 8* Link metal again. all anecdotal, personal comfort, of course.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
661 Posts
I had the lower two out in college, 2 weeks before the semester's band concert. (Great timing!) I waited a week and a half. My experience was not pain-free (and I was playing clarinet at the time). I'd go with the 2-week consensus.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m thinking the two week option sounds good.
There’s no real urgency for me to play, so I think I’ll just catch up on some listening instead.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I had all four wisdom teeth out in my late 20s. They hadn't developed properly and the dentist reckoned they would never be of any practical use and would only rot if they were left in. He pulled one a week for four weeks, just in case I had a bad reaction. They came out easily and I didn't have to stop playing at all. Maybe some people are unlucky, and have problems, but I didn't.

·
Registered
718 Posts
As a dentist of 31 years, I can tell you I’ve never seen nor heard from colleague a complication arise from playing a wind instrument following a routine extraction. Two weeks is a reasonable amount of time to allow for healing. Based on many factors yours could be need more or less time. By and large folks naturally protect the area and don’t over-do things on their own because of the body’s warning signs of pain or bleeding. More complex oral surgical procedures such as periodontal crafts or removal of deeply impacted teeth will require more stringent healing directions. Smoking is probably the single biggest risk factor that I see in delaying or complicating healing. For the most part, the miracle of healing—especially in the oral cavity—happens amazingly fast.

·
7,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the input.
I can live with 2 weeks, so will aim for that.
This extraction seems to have been pretty routine apart from my roots being very long.
And it went far easier than the molar two teeth forward of it which was cracked, and when it was removed they removed a good chunk of my jaw bone.
There were a couple of stitches and a lot of antibiotics involved with that one also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts