Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - my kid will be off to college next year. A music major/minor might be in her future.
I'm curious though how you keep your ax safe from theft, damaged from the Friday night floor open door parties, etc. A clarinet is easier to lock away, but a tenor sax?

And how/where do you practice. Pretty sure you can't wail away in your dorm room. Are you forced to work around the music departments hours and just sign up for a practice room?

How does it all work for you guys ??

thx - Craig

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
Most Colleges/Universities have a large supply of lockers available for music students. Yes, during certain hours the instrument(s) would be unavailable, but generally a locker is a perfectly safe place to keep an instrument (some places limit locker use to music majors, some just require that you're in a school band...it varies).

When I was in school, I would normally just find an empty practice room when I needed to practice. Some schools have rooms upon rooms, some just have a few...but in many cases you don't have to reserve one (though sometimes this can be the case). Again, hours vary...but in my case, other players and I would sometimes hang out after hours to keep playing. Some places are much more laid back than others...it just depends on where she ends up going.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I always keep my sax either in a school locker, which only costs us $6 for the entire year, or in my room under my bed. The practice rooms are open to anyone as long as there isn't someone in them. There's not any kind of list, just first come, first serve.

Not promising this is how it'll be for your kid, but that's how it's been for at 2 different universities.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
Okay, college was a long time ago. But I had the horn, plus a lot of photo gear. It went under the bed or the back of the closet, behind the shoes and the dirty laundry, or it went with me.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
And the best plan is just to not have a roommate. That saves a whole list of problems. And everything stays safe behind a door that only you have the key to. And if possible change the lock on the door. That keeps security and other University staff out. And most of the time no one ever notices.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
I had a locker at both the schools I attended.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I vote locker as well. Last thing she needs is to come home and her roomates are using it as a bong.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I also have a locker (2 actually although i don't know if that's technically allowed), and my university has three floors of practice rooms, and except for the piano- and voice-specific rooms, they are first-come first-served.

·
Registered
235 Posts
on a rather sarcastic note you could always get a gun safe to put it in.

realistically, i wouldnt suggest anything that wasnt already said. locker or bed/closet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts