Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if there are any members here on the west coast of Canada can tell me about the Jazz scene in Victoria and Vancouver.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Hi! I'm in the interior of BC, (Salmon Arm), but lived in Victoria for a few years and Vancouver, long ago. Some wonderful players in both places! Victoria, you must go to Hermann's, (the oldest jazz club in Canada?). Great stuff several nights each week! There is a jazz school in Nanaimo, on the Island, that has some great players/teachers. In between, some good clubs featuring locals. One name is multi-instrumentalist John (? sorry, can't remember his last name) who plays piano, bass and drums. Bassist Sean Drabbit is sensational, and often leads stellar groups. The Naval Base in Victoria has some great players. One is sax player, Roy Styfe. Then there's Miguelito (Valdez?), incredible trumpet and percussion. Every Wednesday eve. at Hermann's, Tom Vickery hosts a sit-in. Tom is great! Pianist, host, nice guy. Haven't been to Van for a while. "Frankie's " is a jazz club that exposes some of the best.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The jazz fest in Vancouver May be the best in all the West Coast. At least an entire week of jazz in every street corner , pub, restaurant. Shame that Seattle has absolutely nothing like this, lived there most of my life, but had to move to BC about 4 years ago. Huge difference in the climate towards jazz up here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, I didn't know there was a Jazz school in Nanaimo. That's cool. I just started relearning the sax after a long lay off and I'm in Ukee at the moment. Use to be part of the Jazz scene in Toronto. I blast jazz music at work and I've been a lot of positive feedback, seems there is a strong interest in Jazz out here. I'm looking to perhaps move down to Victoria or close by so I have more access to Jazz clubs in Vic and Van as well as a teacher.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Victoria seems to have a very good scene, though admittedly, the last band I caught there was Voivod. My friend broke two ribs in the pit.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Google "Hermann's Jazz Club" and click on "calendar" It changes weekly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I certainly agree.. Herman's Jazz club is the place for jazz for all levels of Jazz. I perform there maybe 4 times a year in a community Jazz combo, community Jazz Orchestra, and Community R&B band.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone living in Victoria now? Thinking of moving down there. Wondering about practice spaces.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone living in Victoria now? Thinking of moving down there. Wondering about practice spaces.
projam rents for 50 bux for 3 hours. They've got several locations
Thanks. They have monthly rates? I'd be looking to practice every day. Or maybe I should sign up for some music class I could do part time with access to a practice room. Saxophones and apartments unfortunately don't mix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts