Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a late 1970's /early 80's Luxman receiver (Replacing one that I had in college)

What Speakers?

My college system had Infinitys and they sounded great.

Any suggestions?

·
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I recall correctly, sonnymobleytrane loves Peruvian folk music, Death Metal, and pretty much anything with pan pipes...
You forgot to mention Polkas! I love to strip down grab a pair of my wife's panties put them on and Polka from dusk to dawn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
You forgot to mention Polkas! I love to strip down grab a pair of my wife's panties put them on and Polka from dusk to dawn.
I'm totally cool with you wearing your wife's panties. But dancing to polkas: that sickens me.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts

·
4,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The design for Kliipsch corner horns are from that vintage:

http://www.klipsch.com/klipschorn-floorstanding-speaker

Magnepans were also quite popular, IIRC

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MMG

I have a soft spot in my heart for Bower and Wilkens, too.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond/Products.html
Hak There are actually a pair of Klipsh speakers that were my mom and dad's when I was in college at my Mom's house. They were the kind that were small floor standing speakers , but had a base that angled up. (Don't know the model number.)

Problem is they are hooked to a system that I'm pretty sure my Mom has not listened to in 20 years, but might not want to part with.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have a Luxman receiver from the early 80's collecting dust in the garage for years. I used to use a pair of beat up Mordaunt-Short speakers and I swear the sound was wonderfull. I sold the speakers for next to nothing and I regret that to this day. My main integrated amp is also an early 80's A&R Cambridge British handmade. I pair a couple of shelf size B&W speakers with it and it sounds very good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,124 Posts
Thinking of 70ies equipment: still use a pair of Rogers LS3/5a monitors that were a hand me down from my father (who is the audiophile in the family). Tiny things but they sound great.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I have some Paradigm speakers that sound nice, are well balanced, and not nearly as pricey as B+W. I think they're 9SE MK II...about 15 yrs old. My old speakers are Phase Technology. Over 25 years old still sound nice in my office.

The B+W are great sounding speakers, but I think they're pretty expensive. Boston Acoustics makes some good sounding speakers in a moderate price range. I listened to those quite a bit it was very close between those and the Paradigms.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,303 Posts
My speakers are Athena which are basically today's Energy speakers with a Harmon Kardon receiver. My music is ripped to flacs on my hard drive and streamed to my system via a squeezebox touch.

Quality recordings are important to me. Any album by Porcupine Tree...especially their multichannel material is amazing. Dvorak's 9th Chicago/Solti recording has crazy nuance. Miles' Someday my Prince will come and Diana Krall's the girl in the other room is of exceptional sound quality.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
HELL YEAH!!

Been eyeing up a pair of 800 Diamond Series.

Working on getting up the $9000 for a used pair...
I figured you would go for barefoots....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts