Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All :
is there any app for iphone that allow to record and get a register of the pracice time on sax.. ( long tones, scales, chords, etc ?
Many thanks
Humbardi

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
There is one called Soundcorset tuner & .. that will record and time practice sessions. At least I think it might. Frankly, I use it exclusively for the tuner and metronome on it, and haven't really experimented with other functions. Let us know what you find out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
Gosh, I'd like have that "notebook and pencil" app, since I never seem to have a real pencil when I need one. :).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Back in the stone age I used to use a cheap cassette recorder to record my practice which even though didn't have great sound quality it was good enough for working on my phrasing etc. I have not seen anything similar in the digital age that makes it as easy and cheap to use. There's this:

http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/mercha...Code=JAJAZZ&Product_Code=PMR61&Category_Code=

But it's quite expensive and I don't know if it times your routines. Though actually you should work out how much time to spend on long tones, technical exercises, etc. ahead of time so that you can cover everything in an allotted time, say if you practice for one hour a day or however much you practice per day. Recording yourself is definitely a good idea. It can save you a lot of time in the long run. Maybe someone here knows of a cheap digital recorder with a built in mic and speaker.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I don't know from aps. But I can tell you that my phone, which is about five years old, came with with a timer. You can use that ap as a stopwatch, to see how long something takes, or as an alarm to let you know when a certain amount of time has passed. I've use it while practicing to let me know when I need to finish up, because otherwise I can sometimes just keep going until I'm late for whatever else I need to do that day. I suppose it could also be used to time the minutes spent on various aspects of practice time (long tones, scales, etc.)

The phone also came with a recording function that I occasionally use to "tape" myself while practicing. And I've downloaded free aps that work as a metronome and a tuner. I'm sure there are lots of other aps that are useful for practicing, but I feel like I've got most of what I need without spending a dime.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
I don't know from aps. But I can tell you that my phone, which is about five years old, came with with a timer. You can use that ap as a stopwatch, to see how long something takes, or as an alarm to let you know when a certain amount of time has passed. I've use it while practicing to let me know when I need to finish up, because otherwise I can sometimes just keep going until I'm late for whatever else I need to do that day. I suppose it could also be used to time the minutes spent on various aspects of practice time (long tones, scales, etc.)

The phone also came with a recording function that I occasionally use to "tape" myself while practicing. And I've downloaded free aps that work as a metronome and a tuner. I'm sure there are lots of other aps that are useful for practicing, but I feel like I've got most of what I need without spending a dime.
Personally I've never had any trouble figuring out that if I started at 2:15 and I stopped at 3:30, it's been an hour and a quarter. But maybe that's one of those exotic skills that are now only available to a select few (and everyone over 55) like adding up your purchases in your head, or figuring percentages, or long division, or driving a car with a standard transmission.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Evernote is pretty good for logging practice. I believe there are add-ons that can keep log time spent on activities. You can also add audio, video or documents to your notes.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Personally I've never had any trouble figuring out that if I started at 2:15 and I stopped at 3:30, it's been an hour and a quarter. But maybe that's one of those exotic skills that are now only available to a select few (and everyone over 55) like adding up your purchases in your head, or figuring percentages, or long division, or driving a car with a standard transmission.
I agree, but also suppose that some folks practices may get interrupted for various intervals and it becomes harder to keep track. While pencil and paper are still sufficient to make note of times, I expect there are apps to make such time keeping easier, for lawyers and other professions that require tracking of billable hours where work is spread out, essentially in installments of time.

But also not sure how important it is to keep such close track of practice times. Seems easy enough to just know sufficiently approximately without any writing instruments or apps. Just occasionally look at a clock now and then.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,255 Posts
Seems like the *music* thing man ght be getti g lost in the details here.

I must be doing it wrong. I just play every day. Lots some days.
Gigs other days. Less some days.

dsm

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm waiting for the app that will just practice for me so I can spend more time on social media.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,027 Posts
...I just play every day. Lots some days.
Gigs other days. Less some days.
+1. I've never found the need to log my practice times. I practice until I get tired, then take a break, and then practice some more. At a certain point I put the horn down and go do something else. I'm not worried about logging all of that down to the minute. It's not that difficult to know if you've been practicing enough or not. No doubt I'm missing something here...

p.s. Anyone log the amount of time they spend on here? Or worse, sitting around tapping on & staring at your cell phone--like I see so many people doing everywhere I go?!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
There is one called Soundcorset tuner & .. that will record and time practice sessions. At least I think it might. Frankly, I use it exclusively for the tuner and metronome on it, and haven't really experimented with other functions. Let us know what you find out.
I scoffed at the notion, but while looking for a metronome/tuner ap for my son, I found “Soundcorset”. The timer is easy and intuitive, and I really like some of the metronome options.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,027 Posts
I have to admit, in contrast to what I wrote in my previous post in this thread, I have found what could be a very effective use of a timer in this article:

https://www.jazzadvice.com/practicing-music/

They talk about using a timer when drilling a musical passage, lick, ii-V progression, etc, in 12 keys by setting the timer for 1 to 5 minutes (depending on the complexity of the phrase), drill it for that time period in a given key, then move on through the rest of keys spending those few minutes in each key. A great way to 'even up keys' and drill a piece of musical 'language.'

I do something similar without timing it exactly, but the timer would introduce an element of discipline that could prove useful.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well... it looks like my question gave path to some fun answers...
I was looking for some kind of "app" that give indications of a sequence of exercises to practice in sax learning...Something like :
- 20 minutes Long Tones ( with examples and audios or videos ) ,
- 30 minutes Scales ( also teaching the Scales and exercises to practice them ),
- vibrato...etc...
that was my initial intention, but I was not clear enough...
It does not need to be an app, but , if some of you have some pedagogic interest, could give me a guide on the sequence of exercises to do in order to improve my sax playing.. I can read a partiture, know some basic chords, I do not know how to improvise, my sound is not very good but I am going to start to dedicate more time to improve my sax playing.. your recommendations will be thanked.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Whoa, yes that was far from what seemed to be your request.

This type of regimen has been discussed in the past, but will depend on you defining the duration of your available time, and level of ability. For example, if you have only one hour per day, you likely should not spend half of it on long tones - slow etudes with attention to tone and dynamics will reinforce that. You know best what scales are solid or not.

Tim Price has an excellent resource on his webpage of “What Every Saxophone Player Should Know”. There is enough info there to drive an independent student for several years.

G’luck!

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
many Thanks Dr. G.. I am going to see Tim Price's webpage..also I am reviewing the Training Material section of the beginners forum. Also the subform Learning, Playing, Performance, Teaching Discussion.
I intend to dedicate an hour during weekdays and 2-3 hours ( in two sessions ) on Saturday/Sunday )

1 - 20 of 23 Posts