Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a stint away from the sax, I am looking at getting back into it. I am looking at a 61 for 1200 Aussie bucks. Horn seems in good condition. Is this a good price? Good horn? The other horn I am looking at is a Yanagisawa 880 for $1500. How does one decide? Which is the better choice?

Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a YTS 61 three or four years ago for £500 and I thought I was getting a bargain. It was in excellent condition and when I had it tweaked by a technician (who was also a pro player) he said it was an excellent horn. I find it an excellent player and have had no problems with it. A classic saxophone I would recommend the model to anyone.

·
Registered
105 Posts
....and I bought an 880 tenor a few years ago, and have been really pleased with it too. I don't think you can go far wrong with either of these horns assuming no major flaws, so I'd say get whichever one feels best to you. Allow a little consideration to the price difference, but basically if the more expensive horn feels better to you you won't regret the extra 300 if you spend it. If you buy the cheaper one just because it's cheaper be prepared to regret it later...........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Both great horns, but the Yani is much more ruggedly built and more ergonomically advanced than the 61. IMHO, also darker and more nuanced. I still have both Yani and Yamaha tenors, and this describes the newer ones too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts