Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a stint away from the sax, I am looking at getting back into it. I am looking at a A880 form 1500 Aussie bucks. Horn seems in good condition. Is this a good price? Good horn? The other horn I am looking at is a Yamaha A61for $1200. How does one decide? Which is the better choice?

Cheers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
The A880 is an excellent sax, as is the YAS61. All things being equal, I'd lean to the Yanaaaagisawa (spelling to keep Gary off my back), but others might prefer the Yamaha. With saxes that old it comes down to condition, and whether either needs an overhaul.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Go for the Yani i loved my 880 and sometimes wish that i never traded it in for the 992 (both horns are great though) also owned a couple of YAS 62's but must say i thought the Yani's are better

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Funny you should say that about the 992. I just bought a T880 as possible backup to my T992, and I have to admit, I like it a lot. Needs an overhaul, but definitely has a different vibe than the 992

·
Registered
493 Posts
i must admit that the A880 has a bigger sound but what was even better was the A880 neck on the A992 i tryed this as the 992 neck has a brass ferrel on the end which was to big for my ARB bellite mpc so i was using my old neck while my tech was trying to get a different neck in the end he just filed it smaller .Try changing the necks and you will hear the difference

1 - 5 of 5 Posts