Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching an Antonio Hart video before sleeping last night and noticed some very interesting engraving on his alto.

Here is a link to the video.

https://youtu.be/vc1OuweVJfo
(Notice he is not on the vandoren mouthpiece here, instead it is something else. He sounds incredible! But that is maybe for another thread)

It looks like a Yanagisawa, and while I am sure it is not the unlacquered one he had for years, I can’t tell if it is the Solid Silver one I have seen in other recent videos or a newer horn.

Anyway, I watched some other videos and saw the same engraving. I did a screen shot of the clearest moment I could find of the engraving. I am attaching that moment, that moment zoomed in, as well as a higher side view of the horn making it clear it is a Yanagisawa. (A fun Easter egg is the screw he is using on the Yani from another thread. I wasn’t looking for it, but there it is)

What I am wondering is if we have any of his students here or people that know him well, or someone who sat close enough to him at a concert to tell me what the engraving is on the horn. It looks almost like big waves of water.

*shrugs*

9D8480CA-B739-49BE-A720-247537DE8BE2.jpeg 359B0F91-CC2B-4245-811D-DCC4120834B0.png E8AD13EA-E289-42AE-B98C-F0EE936DAEB4.jpeg

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,162 Posts
That looks very cool! Antonio is definitely high up on the list of sick players no one ever talks about. Been a big fan of his for quite a few years.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,073 Posts
Just watched the video, I think he’s playing a vandoren V16 that’s just faded/discoloured a lot

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are all right, it is indeed still a Vandoren V-16. I commented because the color was off and I could not see the gold ring. In one of the angles, the light hits it well and you can see the ring clearly. So same mouthpiece, but I still believe he sounds different. I have listened to Antonio a lot and have been a big fan for about fifteen years. He is the biggest reason I had interest in trying a Yany that I play now.

Now, back to the engraving...

·
Registered
924 Posts
On the left side of the engraving it looks all the world like a duck flying. The head of the duck is about half-way into the non-engraved part, about even with the pearl (which is what, the Moon?). The duck's eye is dark, as are the spread wings. The only other thing that initially looked identifiable is on the extreme upper right, which reminded me of a heron or egret. However, no such bird has a bill with that curved shape, so I may just have been thinking waterfowl after seeing the duck. (Or the engraver knows nothing about herons.)

I'm pretty confident about the duck part, but the pic is not too clear, and this really is sort of a Rorschach task. I would not be surprised to learn that it is something entirely different.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
So, I contacted Mr. Hart through his website, and he was kind enough to respond.

From the email reply:

Hello David,

It’s the bridge of my music and study of martial arts. Yin and Yang and my style Wing Tsun.

Blessings,
Antonio

BE7A18A8-5111-4393-A1FB-3D7FBAA18B22.jpeg B5523BA0-A0B2-4AD8-9EAD-7C65EB7A29D7.jpeg

So, there ya go.

Pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Very cool! Unusual as well; the yin and yang element used as a basis for the engraving is very creative, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts