1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Wow, this is some good stuff!

·
Banned
492 Posts
Geez! I wanna be like them when I grow up! I've seen Antonio Hart play here in Baltimore once. He is awesome!

Jr.

·
Banned
492 Posts
I tell you what,... I now understand all the fuss about breathing technique and practice. It's clear to me now! Fingering also. Did any one noticed that Tim's fingers hardly move? Or is it just me?

Jr.

·
Registered
818 Posts
These are some of the guys that are keeping the art form moving forward.. Tim is absolutely incredible... He is playing on such a high level... it's great to see them in action... makes me want to go home and practice....

·
Registered
923 Posts
Man, I keep going back to this. I've heard Tim do some things in the past but he is killing even more so now. There was a thread about great living altoist; add these two. :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Totally amazing. I did hear a bit of repetition in some of the lines, but that seems to be the case with even the greatest players when playing tempos as freakishly fast as this one. Not dissing in any way, but just pointing something it out so that it doesn't seem quite so super-human and out of reach. Of course, the goal is to play as spontaneously as possible, but that's something we all have to work up to, even the greats.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe he plays a Yani 991UL and V16 mpc.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Totally amazing. I did hear a bit of repetition in some of the lines, but that seems to be the case with even the greatest players when playing tempos as freakishly fast as this one. Not dissing in any way, but just pointing something it out so that it doesn't seem quite so super-human and out of reach. Of course, the goal is to play as spontaneously as possible, but that's something we all have to work up to, even the greats.
We just did a paper of Korsakav's Flight of the Bumble Bee and some of the important stuff surrounding it. Two of the things we looked at was how it's been modified for different instruments and different uses over the years, especially commercial uses. We examined most of the heavy uses from the Green Hornet theme to several TV commercials to Marsalis' nailing it in his bid to carve out his place on the mainstream map. Guess what we discovered? A whole lotta repitition. The more commercial the use, the more repitition it looks like. My teacher says it's all about recognition and the hook when it comes to that kinda use.

Bottom line, I think the use here was like a battle of the Altos in addition to individual solos,... a follow me kinda thing. I saw reps as a good part of the challenge and inline with the use.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,629 Posts
I believe he plays a Yani 991UL and V16 mpc.
Thanks Vandlay! It seems that Jaleel Shaw, Bobby Watson, Antonio Hart, Tim Green and Steve Wilson are using V16 Vandorens on alto these days. I'd like to know do they use small/med chamber and which tip opening.

On Steve's website there's an info that he plays an A6 but no info on what chamber..

-TH

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Vandlay! It seems that Jaleel Shaw, Bobby Watson, Antonio Hart, Tim Green and Steve Wilson are using V16 Vandorens on alto these days. I'd like to know do they use small/med chamber and which tip opening.

On Steve's website there's an info that he plays an A6 but no info on what chamber..

-TH
I think Jaleel is playing on a A5M V16 and Antonio plays the A8S. I really like Tim Green's sound!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts