Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to play what I was told is the first Pro One alto sax to hit St Cloud Minnesota. These are my first impressions.

The horn is very clean looking. Thoroughly modern in appearance. Laquor was evenly applied and I didn't notice those little... application ripples you sometimes find when you look more closely at the areas we usually miss on the first go-around. No acid bleed that I could find either.

My first impression at the initial moment of holding this sax sort of had me thinking (without really thinking about it) that the key work might be designed for smaller hands. Once I got my strap on and actually set my hands it was apparent the keywork on the Pro One follows follows the same dictum all the other good Asian horns are following. Locate the key touches as comfortably as possible. This is always a good starting point.

What continues from a good starting point is ensuring those keys work in concert with all the other keys correctly . The action needs to be even. Nothing should jump out at the musician playing the instrument. I found this to be the case in the Pro One. Playing scales and jumping into arpeggios ought to be as smooth as the person playing them. At the bottom end of the horn the tables worked really nice. Some horns seem almost squishy in their actions on the tables. I didn't find that here. Conversely, the altissimo ( as far as I can take it) came out clean. That's a big deal with me. Because if you can't get "clean" to come out up there, it's that much harder to be on pitch when the music calls for it. No embouture adjusting seemed necessary. It's an easy instrument to move around upon.

Sound. Playing on a Teal mouthpiece with #3 Rico reeds, I found this horn's tone to be on the creamier side. Not quite to a Yanni's degree but very mid range. I've got to go back and screw a couple jazz mouthpieces on this thing and see what she does because the impression I have is this horn was not purpose built to be another modern Conn or Buescher.

On that note, let me be clear. What seperates the Pro One from other offerings Iv'e tried at its price point is its mid range tone. Which I think is entirely necessary and long overdue. And I can't help wondering how it would sound with a little more edge than I put through it today.

Harv

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You lost me at "embouture".....what exactly is that?

Ok, so it's clean looking. What does that mean? It is new right? Modern in appearance? Lacquer (or laquor) application ripples? I have never seen those, even on Unison horns. Not sure what horns you look at where you see that sorta thing. I would have hoped the dealer sent those back rather than putting them out on display and trying to sell them.

Creamier side? Again, what the heck does that mean? Yanigasawa.....which one are you comparing it to? The regular ones, the ones with silver in them, the bronze ones?

I have YET to play an Antiqua Winds instrument that isn't crap. So they now have a "Pro" line. *Yawn*

I'd be concerned that these have been announced about a year ago, and on their NEWS page they have a major typo (second paragraph "this new eck").
http://www.antiguawinds.com/newsDetail.aspx?Id=98

I'd still not recommend them at all. There are PLENTLY of excellent horns out there, but Antigua Winds is NOT one of them. Barone horns are on my list. Very high on the list. Excellent horns.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for letting me know I've been mispelling the word embouchure.

You would hope dealers sent stuff like that back, but sometimes you just don't notice every finite detail even when you run a shop. We're human, stuff we don't intend happens sometimes.

I've played a few Yanis. It's been a while, and I don't think I've played the top end silver models but that's how I would describe the sound of the horns from my own experience. And yes, even the bronze has a variation of what I'm calling that sound. It certainly isn't a vintage tone palate to my own hearing (or best attempt to describe it).

Hey, I know what you mean. There's a brand of horn out there that many people absolutely love and I cannot like the things no matter how many times I've played them And this goes back alot of years now. I also know my opinion about that brand wouldn't exactly be appreciated if heard or read in public! So... I don't step on others' happiness with those horns because hey, they're not me lol. And that's as it should be.

I've heard much good about the Barone horns. I have no doubt you'll be more than satisfied with yours someday.

Harv

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
What were your impressions when you played them, eric?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Harv, Did you get your free box of reads for test playing?
It says on they're website that your entitled to a "free" box of reeds, your choice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Harv

There is a lot of people who are very stereotype. And there are more people in the forum has special interested to certain brand.

Just be true to yourself.

Thanks for sharing your thought

·
Banned
492 Posts
Wow,... look who's talking about being stereotypical. With an avatar like that, where on earth does he find the room?

Mr. Harvey,... thanks for the report and impressions. The teflon JK style G# gadget and the Yanni style bridge on the left spat are interesting features. I currently blow a Barone Honey Gold Lacquer Vintage Alto, and expect to take delivery of my first tenor, a Barone Vintage as well but in Silver Plate, sometimes next week. When I first start looking into tenors, I seriously gave the Pro One some thought, but at 2.8k, it just could stand up to the value of the Barone Vintage Tenor.

Jr.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are we still in high school? Can't imagine that people are still trying to pick up minor spelling mistakes on "forum"....... Come on! Should talk about the subject!

·
Banned
492 Posts
Agreed,... there are a few replies in here that could seen as smug. Smug to an OP with an honest opinion and fair intentions.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Gentlemen,
May I respectfully direct your attention back to the title of the thread, specifically: first impressions? By it's very definition, an "impression" is a subjective feeling entirely up to the individual and as such should be used for informative purposes. Debates of correct or incorrect and even more importantly, right or wrong in cases of "impressions" are toally irrelevant. (Here endeth the sermon.)

Eric,
You said he,"...lost you at embouture and what was that?" I believe he was referring to the positioning of your mouth over the mouthpiece which has the ability to affect both tone and pitch. Many saxes require manipulation of the embouchure in order to correct variations in intonation.

All in all, a fair and concise first impression! I look forward to Harvey's impressions after having tried the jazz mouthpieces. Thanks!

·
Banned
492 Posts
Gentlemen,
May I respectfully direct your attention back to the title of the thread, specifically: first impressions? By it's very definition, an "impression" is a subjective feeling entirely up to the individual and as such should be used for informative purposes. Debates of correct or incorrect and even more importantly, right or wrong in cases of "impressions" are toally irrelevant. (Here endeth the sermon.)

Eric,
You said he,"...lost you at embouture and what was that?" I believe he was referring to the positioning of your mouth over the mouthpiece which has the ability to affect both tone and pitch. Many saxes require manipulation of the embouchure in order to correct variations in intonation.

All in all, a fair and concise first impression! I look forward to Harvey's impressions after having tried the jazz mouthpieces. Thanks!
That wasn't me Mr. Stockham,... another poster made that comment. I think we all knew and appreciated what Harvey was saying, and we all could decipher the OP's words and gist, despite the occasional mis-spellings,... well except for one of us! Oh well,... I guess my sig still has some utility!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yeah, I was responding to ericdano. I should have been more precise. Personally, I think it's a blessing when somebody can give us his or her impressions about a sax! I certainly don't have easy access to many of these models and it helps me out tremendously to hear from others. Now, as to opinions about whether a brand is good or bad, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and "caveat emptor" come to mind. I find that, when posting, keeping civility in mind is usually the safest approach. :bluewink:

·
Banned
593 Posts
Harvey, thanks for posting. pay no atention to the criticisism. i liked that it had reads by the way - i like to read. Creamy - hey, these guys use description of light to describe sound all the time, they dont explain that either. bright? dark? subdued - lacking in vitality, intensity, or strength - these sound like technique to me.

oh, and dr G doesnt like me starting sentences with lower case letters.

post those impressions with other mouthpieces too.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Harvey - thanks for your impressions, and do keep posting them. Players who are considering this horn can benefit from your experience.

My own review is here: Antigua Pro One

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bari-sax-diva and Stephen Howard, now those are real reviews. Nothing in my ten minutes of playing that instrument compares with what you both expressed in your thoughts. Much more informed thoughts I might add.

Thanks for the kind words all of you

Harv

1 - 20 of 24 Posts