Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for an Antigua Winds curved sop for the last year. Yeah I can get them on ebay. But I'm doing that. I hate buying used. To each their own, though. I finally made a call to Randy at Antigua, and he pointed me to the following:

http://www.antiguawinds.com/product_saxophone.aspx. Go to the Soprano line and click SS 3159.

Antigua has been stocking this model for the last couple of months and that they have some in stock ($1899.00 MSRP). Production has been going on for a bit longer, and Randy mentioned that the horn has gone through a few/several iterations before accepting a version suitable for the market.

I own an SS4290RC, and I'm quite pleased with the horn. It plays like a champ. Yeah, there will be disagreement about this, but I really think the sound of the comes from you, and not the instrument. And that take a lot of time finding developing your technique as you grow accustomed to playing it. That's my thoughts; you don't have to agree with it.

The horn looks like it has been developed around the Yani keywork, which makes a big difference for me as I play an A991 as well as Antigua's 4290, and can't tell that much between the comfort I experience between both horns. That's a plus for me. The last thing I want to think about when playing is how far I have to stretch a pinky when using either of the spatula keys. That makes all the difference in the world for me. Comfort while playing.

Next step is to call Kessler to see if they can get this horn and at what cost.

Steve
Seattle

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add that the picture of the horn on Antigua's site looks like it's a copy of the SC901 for whatever that's worth. Has anyone on this forum tried/owned one? Just thought it might be worth asking.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my sop back from the shop this morning. All is good. Happiness reigns once again! Scott Granlund (Granlund Woodwind Repair in Seattle) made the repair. $150. You gotta love this guy. He straightened the body at the low key posts, and made sure the G, G#, and F# tone hole lined up with the pads. And perfectly. This horn feels great under my fingers, better than when I first bought it. Last year I took to Scott for a tune-up. There was a clicking sensation coming from the lower stack rods; it was a screw that kept loosening up at the lower end of a rod and brushed up against key or something. Scott fixed that problem permanently. The was much more comfortable to play than when I first bought it.

Now, the horn feels even better, especially at its lower end G through Bb. Everything is smooth. Pretty much like my A991. The tone hasn't changed. It all comes out the why you want to define it.

I've also been thinking about buying another Antigua sop, the F# curved straight, as a backup in case there's another mishap.

I think I went through some sort of mild withdrawal for the last few weeks. Playing the alto was getting a little monotonous; I missed the sop. There's something in their tone that I find alluring that the alto doesn't resonate with me. (Although I do enjoy playing my alto. The sop doesn't have what resonates with my alto.)

Anyway the horn's ergos feel much improved since it took its fall. It's a joy to play even if my sop chops haven't been exercised in 4 weeks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,445 Posts
Jazzy2nes: Are you saying that Antigua curved sopranos don't tune as well as straight Antigua sopranos? If so, what leads you to that opinion?

OR, are you generalizing about all curved sopranos vs. all straight sopranos? If so, again - why that opinion? Based on what? DAVE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.