Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to find out the details/history/value of my soprano sax. It is is an Antigua Winds Soprano Sax, serial number: 9506115. (The only numbers on it are directly under the name "Antigua Winds" on the bell.) If anyone knows anything about it, or knows where I could find out more about it, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,476 Posts
travel: Welcome to SOTW.

Antigua sopranos have gone through a few changes over the years. A while back, they changed to what they (and their dealers) called a copy of the Yanagisawa sopranos, from the fixed neck Yany S901 to the dual-neck Yany S991. They were regarded as an improvement over the revious Antigua models. Whether they were or not may be more about marketing as opposed to actual results.

When Antigua made that change, they added the letters "YS" in front of the serial number. If your soprano does not have YS in the serial number, then I am assuming your horn preceded those design changes. Then, Antigua's models were the 582 (fixed neck copy of the S901), and 586/590 (dual-neck versions of the S991's, without and with the hi-G keying).

I owned an Antigua 590LQ (for lacquer finish) for a long time but eventually sold it.

Now, Antigua has once again changed their model designations to something else and I can't recall what they are. Nor do I know if they retained the YS in the serial numbers. Someone else may be able to answer that.

Many years ago, Antigua also made a fixed straight-neck soprano styled after the Selmer Mark VI (similar keywork) and Yanagisawa S-6 (a MKVI copy). I have what I strongly suspect is a stenciled Antigua soprano branded only as a KUSTOM with only a serial number on it.

Bottom line? Maybe a better description of your soprano and even a few good photos can help us help you. DAVE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for that info! And thanks for the warm welcome :)

I am posting some pictures now. I hope this will help!

Do you notice in the picture with the neck that it looks crooked? And then the close up of the top of the body, does that piece look modified or "welded" at all? Just curious.. .

Thank you for your input and I look forward to more!

Attachments

·
14,476 Posts
It DOES look slightly bent in the neck. Merely looking down through the tube should confirm the bend. If it IS bent, then it should be straightened - and a tech can do that. Maybe it really doesn't effect how the horn plays but I'm one to like my things to be in good shape.

I no longer have my 590LQ so I can't confirm where the serial number was located, but my memory tells me it was on the back of the tube, not along the side, lengthwise, as shown in your photo.

As far as the neck receiver, it probably is brazed (or whatever process is used on brass - that's not my area of expertise, either) but it doesn't look ODD to me. Most dual-neck (or should I say "removable") sopranos have a neck receiver of some sort of design. I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Maybe someone else here can come in and enlighten us. Dave Kessler (Kessler Music, Las Vegas), a site sponsor, sells Antiguas and maybe could assist you.

As far as value, if it is pre-YS days, then it won't be worth as much as the YS-horns, And those aren't valuable - a good one may draw $600 at best. But again, I am not up on the latest pricing - and pricing depends a lot on finding that ONE person who wants it. Check the Kessler price for the cost of a new one and go down a lot from there. DAVE

·
14,476 Posts
. . . and, let me say this. In no way am I saying your Antigua is not a decent soprano. I played a festival on my 590LQ a few years ago and no one knew it wasn't some high-powered saxophone (until they asked). It played fine and will probably serve you well. "Value' is hard to define . . . DAVE

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would also like to find out more about these sopranos due to the fact that some have resurfaced online for sale

·
14,476 Posts
I think they have been described pretty well in this thread. The newest line has different model numbers than the 582/586/590 series, but I think they are essentially the same thing. You could call Dave Kessler and ask him - they carry Antigua sopranos and I'm sure he can set you straight about them. I no longer have mine but it was a good player when I had it. DAVE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.