Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Re: Antigua sop

I have been considering the Antiqua after all of the positive comments here. One question for anyone who wants to chime in: Is the 582 considered an "entry/beginner level" ? I would consider myself in the "intermediate" level, so I am looking for a horn that I will not only be very happy with now, but for years to come. (Or at least until I "need" another one) Would the 582 fit the bill? BTW, I am not interested in having 2 necks, I never use my curved neck now.

Also, are their alto's as highly recommended as the sops?

Thanks in advance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,476 Posts
Coufman: I'd say buy the best you can afford and disregard the "beginner-intermediate-pro" marketing rhetoric.

While I don't care for dual-neck sopranos either, it was difficult for me to find a modern soprano without dual-necks, at least one I liked (and that includes Antiguas, Yanagisawas, and as I recall, a JK I've tried - all with fixed necks and none that I cared for). But if you can find a fixed-neck model and you like it, that should work.

I recently tried one new Antigua alto but did not care for it. It was okay, but it didn't impress me and I have better altos already (so with sopranos, but I'm obsessed when it comes to sops). DAVE

·
Registered
834 Posts
Coufman: The 582 differs in that it lacks high G, and lacks the two removable necks. As far as quality of construction, fit and finish, it is just as good. Dave Kessler says it has a few more intonation quirks than the 586 and 590, but I have not found them in my test playing. I have a 590, myself.

Entry level, not so much as just different features. I think you will be very impressed with any of these three models. Probably the "best buy" of the three is the A586.

·
Alto: Couesnon and Bettersax (by Bundy); Tenor: YTS-61; Sop: Antigua Winds 4280; C-mel: Conn
3,161 Posts
Coufman, I have a 582 and it sounds rich and powerful when needed, and soft and expressive when that's needed. I've used a metal Beechler, but my favorite so far is a Yanagisawa HR mpc with a FL lig and V16 2-1/2 reed. I owned a vintage Conn (side palm keys and thumb ring bothered me), a Unison S100GG sop with 2 necks (excellent quality and good player, but pricier than the Antigua a bit) and the Antigua 582LQ. Of these, I prefer the Antigua and consider it a keeper after a long search for one that meets my needs.
8)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe I should have phrased my question differently. Is the 582 a student horn or better? I only want to buy one more soprano, so I want to make sure it is of a quality that I will want to keep it for a long time, but I would rather spend @$700 than @$2500. I don't need "the best".

I know many people use the "buy the best you can afford" suggestion (no offense Dave) but that is totally subjective. "what you can afford" depends on your level of sacrifice; what you are willing to give up to get what you want at that moment. I can "afford" more than what I am willing to spend. It's the same thing with my other passion (read: obsession) of flyfishing. I "can" spend $600 on a new Sage or Winston rod, but I would rather spend $150 on a good quality rod that is close enough.
Sorry to wax philosophic on everyone.

I am trying to find a local Antiqua dealer that has a sop in stock (probably when pigs fly) so I can test play one. Keep you posted.

PS Thanks for the input Dave and Paul.

·
Registered
924 Posts
The engraving is different, but the engraving on the 590 that I bought from Dave Kessler is different than the engraving on the photos on either his site or the Antigua site, so it is hard to tell. If anyone was interested they could email the seller. If it is a 590, it might be a good deal, since those go for $925.

·
Alto: Couesnon and Bettersax (by Bundy); Tenor: YTS-61; Sop: Antigua Winds 4280; C-mel: Conn
3,161 Posts
Coufman - if that means you might be interested in getting a good deal on a new 582LQ, I got mine at http://www.bandinstrumentservice.com/Woodwinds.htm#saxophones
for $595 plus a nominal shipping fee. I have no connection with this company other than being a satisfied customer. For some unknonwn reason, it seems they don't offer the 586 or 590, if you were interested in either of those 2-neck models.

Best of luck in getting what satisfies your needs.

8)

·
Registered
834 Posts
The one offered in that ebay add is not the A590, but the older A580, which is not nearly as good a soprano as this new series.

Again, the three new models, 582, 586,590 differ in features, but not quality of constuction, or fit and finish. Most of the keywork is interchangable, but for the octave mechanism (due to the fixed neck on the 582) and the high G key and mechanism of the 590.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well after reading this and many other threads I just ordered a 586LQ soprano. I can't wait to get it. I play a Prestini sop now and it has it's share of problems the first being intonation. I usually use a Bari 64 with it and I hope that mouthpiece works with the Antigua. I play a MK VI tenor and a great silver MK VII alto. I almost went with a Yamaha but the 586 seems to get some great ratings. I will report my findings on this horn as soon as I play it some. I have played soprano for at least the last 10 years and the others for mor than 25 years.

·
Registered
181 Posts
danm- What are your intonation problems with the Prestini? I have a Prestini too and found I needed to open the lower stack to get the scale from going flat on lower D-E-F. This horn also needs a mouthpiece with a small chamber volume. I am using a Runyon Custom with pretty good results.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bill, I have had the same intonation problems as you have. I also have a Runyon Custom I play and it does help and it is a good mouthpiece. I did find it to not have the tone for me that I needed. It seems to be the world’s smallest mouthpiece and going from tenor to soprano with the Custom takes some getting used to. I play my soprano mainly in Church and volume control is important to me. I had the guitar player next to me actually hear me over his own guitar monitor volume when I play the Runyon. That never happens! The Bari has the sound but with the Prestini the intonation is a bit weird. I end up lipping every other note which gets old fast. My other horns do not need this kind of control and I am hoping the Antigua will not need it either.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks David, I did not think that you knew that I was the same Dan that ordered the soprano. As fortune would have it I am playing sop on the Christmas eve service. I practiced the songs with the Prestini tonight and they sounded pretty good. I can't wait to try the Antigua. Thanks for the great service...DAN

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well it came! My Antigua 586LQ arrived and here is my test report. This is a well made sax for any money. I must admit I am a little pro Selmer because I play a MKVI tenor (main horn) and a MKVII alto. I like the feel and sound that I get from the Selmer's. This horn feels like a smaller version of my alto. The first thing I noticed other than the engraving was the ease of playing. It will play from Bb to F#+ clearly and with very little effort. My Prestini is much harder to cover this range easily. It does it but its more work. The Intonation on this horn makes it a pleasure to play. An out of tune sop is like fingernails on a blackboard to me. The intonation is quite good both by ear and on my electronic tuner. Quite a pleasant surprise. The tone is just a little bit better than the Prestini. Then again I tend to sound like me on whatever I play on. Just slight differences due to the horn. The Antigua is as good as everyone here says it is. It will be a keeper in my house. The pinky keys are nice and the side keys are close enough that they do not need risers on them like my Selmer's do. I bought it from www.kesslermusic.com they were great on the phone and answered all of my questions. They know a lot about this horn. It was packed like a sax should be packed. In a huge box surrounded with packing peanuts with another box inside containing the case with the sax inside. The horn was well setup even for as fussy a player as I am. I would recommend one of these any days. The included mouthpiece is too closed for my taste. The included ligature is great with the oversize screws it is easy to adjust. I am playing either a Bari .64 or a Selmer D soloist mouthpiece with #3 reeds. This horn sure costs a lot less tham my others do but it plays real well....DAN

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dan-
Thanks for the informative information on the new Antigua and the relative differences to the Prestini horn. Recently I had a chance to try the new Cannonball Soprano and found similar experiences to the Antigua. Although, the lower stack could have been opened up for my tastes, the Cannonball felt nice in my hands, played with a slightly richer and more complex tone than the Prestini BUT costs many times the price I paided for the Prestini on Ebay. I will say that the only "uncorrectable" negative to the Prestini is difficulty in "starting a note". Compared to other horns it takes more skill to perform certain interval changes than the newer designs. I believe with careful setting of key heights and selection of mouthpiece that the Prestini can play acceptably. A friend of mine who is a professional was able to play rather nicely on the Prestini but like you say it's more work than other horns. These comments about the Prestini are posted in the interest of completeness of the subject matter and not meant to justify either horn. I am looking forward to obtaining an Antigua Sop myself. [trades Dave?]

41 - 60 of 241 Posts