Sax on the Web Forum banner
221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks Tim!

Wow...3 posts for just selling one horn. I'm glad you like it, and would agree with your possative remarks. If you have any more questions, just email me through www.scimonetti.com
I hope you get a decade of use out of it...or more!
Thanks,
Jimmy Scimonetti

G

·
Bringing this thread back...

Anyway, the A586BC is really calling me right now, I'm sure I want to get going with sop and that horn is just calling me. Oh yea, and a black nickel horn really intrigues me. :)

Cheers,
CR

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I have a 590 in black and a student of mine has a 586 lacquer. You can't go wrong with either horn. The 590 is the horn I play all of the time....Serie III is a great horn abut mine doesn't get played any more and is up for sale. Get yourself a Bari HR or Morgan Jazz mouthpiece and ENJOY!!!!!

G

·
Morgan jazz or protone? I've been searching around the internet and I can't seem to find a Morgan protone sop mouthpiece. :?

·
Registered
855 Posts
CircaRevival -

DaveK can sell you one with the sax - or you can get them from Dave Hoskis at Junkdude.com. Both of them great to deal with. I have purchased Morgans from each of them. I got the sop Pro Tone when I purchased my Antigua 586BC from DaveK. According to him, it was one of the last he had in stock that was hand finished by Ralph before he turned that task over to his assistants.

It is a very good mouthpiece (far better than the stock 4c for me), but I now use a Mojo custom Buescher mpc. Accordingly - my ProTone is available for less than new - pm me if you're interested. If you prefer new - you can't go wrong with either of the 2 Daves :cool: !

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
I'd say go for the 586BN. I was going to get the 586LQ and then talked myself into the 586BN after seeing some photos on the Antigua site (from the link on Kessler's site). But then when ordering I talked myself into the 590LQ for $50 more just to get the "top of the line." I doubt I'll ever use the G key which is the only difference.

I like the 4C mouthpiece that comes with it though I also bought the Morgan Protone from Kessler with the sax. It was only $35 and is probably worth getting at least as something to compare with. I suggest you get #3 reeds for either the Morgan or the 4C. I have only 2.5 reeds and they are too weak for the notes above D3.

For more info see my post on the Mouthpiece section.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I used a friend's Antigua soprano for a while last year when I was playing lead alto and I wasn't quite sure what to think of it. I really liked the sound that I got from it, but honestly I found the thing to be very pitchy, even for a soprano. It's possible that some of the key heights were so far out of adjustment that a tech could've fixed the pitch problems but honestly it made the horn very difficult to play. Prior to this I had been using a school-owned Yamaha (61?) that I liked but the use of the 2 school horns was spread so thin that I decided to try borrowing a friend's horn instead. I guess if I could've had the pitch problems fixed then I would've really liked this horn, so maybe I just had a bad experience?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I bought the 586BC from Kessler after much research. The horn is a copy of the Yani 901. The finish is a copy of a Keilwerth Shadow model. Not a deep black, but. as AW states, a "black chrome".

Anyway, I am not a great sop player, but gave this to my young cousin who is a pro. He loved it and must have played this horn for a good 1/2 hour (Berklee School of Music, etc.)

For the price, you can't beat it. You can go with the Ebay madness as I did, but in the end, this was the best buy for me. Dave Kessler was awesome. I really, really wanted the silver finish, but am real happy with the black.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum. I play mostly alto and I'm looking to get a less expensive soprano. The posts on the Antigua are interesting. I have seen some used ones for sale on Craiglist and wondered - when did their quality start getting better? Is there a year before which I should avoid ?

One I am looking at now was purchased new in 2003 and is the cheaper one piece 582 LQ. I do not have the serial number info yet.

Thanks - Noam

spacin out on the old Martin - with the Tornotics

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just discovered this thread and have some questions. I have a Buescher soprano - serial no. 197XXX which puts it in the late 20's. I love it and all my Bueschers (nine total). However, I recently heard a really good sax player on a Selmer Super Action Series III. Her sound was awesome. Now I want one! Do I convince my husband to spring for a $4000+ horn or just keep playing the Buescher? The difference I noticed in the Selmer was that the warmth and darkness ran the whole range of the horn. The Buescher tends to thin out in the upper register (maybe it's just me!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've had a 586 I got from Dave Kessler for a few years now, and am thrilled with it. Sounds great, workable intonation and it responds really well. It actually outplayed a Mark VI that I bought from Mark Colby that had too much resistance for me.

I've got the straight neck on there semi-permanently, as I had trouble with the octave key bending when I took it on and off.

These are great horns and Kessler Music was great to work with.

If you want to hear the instrument, I've got a widget up on my web site with samples. I used the AW on my cut, Fundamental Dreamer. I'm using a Gary Sugal (rubber) 6 on it.

I got my 586 soprano in today and it's awesome. I had no idea it could be so easy to play in tune without much effort. The curved neck is just a hair less in tune on a note or two compared to the straight but it's hardly noticeable. Effortless response, I can play up to F# easily and maybe could go further but I haven't looked up the fingerings.
The tone is nice with the stock mpc and a #3 reed, my Selmer SS is on loan to a friend so I couldn't try it. I'll get it back tomorrow.
The Yani must really be awesome if it is better than this.
I'm glad with my choice though, I'll use the money I saved to get some other horn later that I "need".
My friend has a silver Jupiter on order from WWBW, so I'll report how the side by side testing goes.
Dave was great to work with and was very helpful.
If you're in the market for a soprano, make sure you check these out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Antigua Winds or LA soprano sax?

Hi - I've played sax for over 40 years and am looking to buy a soprano sax secondhand for around $500. I have my eye on an Antigua Winds straight model (serial # begins with YS), and an LA Soprano. Can anyone tell me which one is considered to be a better horn? I am more of a classical player and want a deep, mellow sound rather than a bright vibrant one. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Recently I bought an Antigua Soprano on ebay. I haven't received it yet, but was interested in tracing its history. Are there any resources available to trace serial numbers? The serial # is 955102.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm in the market foe one of these horns. But I want a semi-dark tone with lots of projection, any advice on mouthpieces? Brand/ Tip opening etc...

·
Registered
231 Posts
What about the newer models of the Antigua sopranos? Are they any different than the older models?

221 - 240 of 241 Posts