Sax on the Web Forum banner
181 - 200 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't believe it!

Wow, I e-mailed Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center and I was very surprised. They carry the Antigua Wind 582-LQ (and the serial number does start with a YS) for only $549 (sorry Dave) I just asked for the price of the 586 and am hoping to recieve a quick answer. Is it wise to try curved and straight necks as a beginner? Or should I just stick with the straight for now? If the 586 is priced cheaply, I might purchase that instead, but I wanted to make sure that I didn't waste more money than I need to for just one additional neck. Any opinions? And also, thank you all for suggesting Chuck Levin's. The other store that is located close to me hasn't even e-mailed me back yet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: Couesnon and Bettersax (by Bundy); Tenor: YTS-61; Sop: Antigua Winds 4280; C-mel: Conn
3,161 Posts
If the 586 is within your budget, go for it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Eh, unfortunately, they don't carry the 586, but they do carry the 590 for $899. I'll probably just stick with the 582 for my parents sake :) I'm probably going to purchase it on Monday and I'll be sure to write the results (if I can even get a sound out that is :D ) My first lesson is also this Friday! I can't wait!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recently purchased a Antigua Winds 590 BC. A nice horn so far. I was comparing it to pictures of the Yani sopranos on ebay and surprised at how similar they were. The only difference I could find was that the front F key was slightly different. The engineer in me would love to see a note-by-note intonation comparison to see how close Antigua got. Kind of surprising that wholesale duplication like that is legal, guess that's capitalism for you. :) Almost makes you want to boycott Antigua just out of respect for Yani :!:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good news! Haha I just purchased my very own A582-LQ from Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center, and yes, they really knew their stuff. I was surprised at the information they gave and how helpful they were. I fell in love with the horn as soon as I saw it. It sounds beautiful (though I don't know what keys are what at the moment :oops: ) and plays very easily. A lot of the keys are very hard to reach to my surprise (and I thought I had big hands :? ) I was very surprised, it's heavier than I thought it to be and requires a lot more wind/breath. Hehe this is going to be a fun challenge, and the people at Chuck's agreed. I am in love with the 582 and I thank you guys for helping me out. I am very eager to learn more and if you have ANY advice for a complete beginner, any and all advice is welcome. Oh and one more thing, if anyone knows any good books or websites to learn the keys and fingering for the sop sax, it would be very helpful. Thank you once again

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok, so here I am playing and loving my new antigua sop sax and find that one note is hard to get out correctly. Its the low D (all 6 fingers, nothing else). When I play it, it sometimes comes out an octave higher. I've checked my finger positioning to make sure I hit nothing else (including the octave key) and still it came out that way. It only happens when I start out with the low D or "tounge" to it from a different note. If I slur it, its fine, but when I seperate the note, it comes out that way. Also, When the D comes out fine, I try pushing the octave key and it sounds correct and then I let go of the octave key and it still plays the same note rather than an octave lower like it should. Is this a problem with the sax? Or just me? Everything else works fine except for that one note. Even the notes lower (B flat, B, C, C#) work fine.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Could be a couple of things.

1. Could just be the mouthpiece/reed setup
2. Could be out of adjustment.

Also, make sure that you have the mouthpiece on far enough. On soprano, not having the mouthpiece on all the way can generate a lot of problems. On these Antigua sopranos, you need to have the mouthpiece almost All the way on the cork.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, I've read a couple of problems about making sure the mouthpiece is in all the way and I made sure the thing was all the way in when I first got it (I thought I was going to break the mouthpiece) It's all the way in and I even tried pulling it out a bit but still the same problem. My first lesson is Friday and I'll tell my teacher about the problem, and see if he can see what's wrong with it (maybe test his own mouthpiece and see if he has the same problem). Dave, what did you mean by out of adjustment? The horn or the mouthpiece? By the way, like Stencilman said, I appreciate your help. I apologize for not purchasing the horn from you :oops:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
DanA said:
Dave, what did you mean by out of adjustment? The horn or the mouthpiece?
The instrument may not have been gone over by a tech. When we get these in, many of them play pretty good right out of the box, but ALL of them are not 100% setup properly.

Could just have a few leaks in the pads. That is what I meant.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, Dave, I don't think anyone looked over it. When they first showed it to me, I saw a piece of broken cork (it didn't affect anything, just how silent it was when you pushed the buttons). I don't think it's a leak in the horn though, although that may still be a possibility, however, when I tried re-shaping my embouchure, it worked fine. Only problem is, I can't keep the same mouth formation everytime and I'm not even sure if I'm doing it right :oops: I seriously hope nothing is wrong with the horn...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello all once again. I realized the problem and it was that 1.) The ligature wasn't low enough and 2.) The ligature wasn't tight enough. I thought you had to tighten it like the clairnet, not too tight, but you have to tighten it much more. I had my first lesson and my worst fears are confirmed, I suck, but am planning on practicing a minimum of an hour everyday to get better quickly. The only thing I really don't like about my teacher is that he is not a soprano player himself, instead he's a tenor player. This means I probably won't get as much help as I would like with my ebouchure :( as well as many other things.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Alto: Couesnon and Bettersax (by Bundy); Tenor: YTS-61; Sop: Antigua Winds 4280; C-mel: Conn
3,161 Posts
Only an hour??

Larry Teal says, in his popular book The Art of Saxophone Playing, "All members of the saxophone family have the same fingering system--the structural difference is mainly one of size. No great alteration of technique is required to shift from one to any of the others. Although the embouchure requires minor adjustment, the basic concept of tone production remains the same. The transfer is principally a matter of orientation to a different size mouthpiece and reed."

Give your teacher a chance before giving up on him too soon. And, consider the fact that one hour is just a warm-up for many pros. To improve quickly might require more dedication. Also, practice the right stuff. There is a practice section in this forum where you can pick up some tips in addition to those provided by your teacher.

"Practice makes perfect only if the practice is perfect."

Good luck.

181 - 200 of 241 Posts