Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Would anyone mind if I were to refer possible customers of the Antigua sopranos discussed to this thread? I would not quote it on a website but when asked for a review of the new models, I would simply e-mail them this thread address. Is this OK with all involved?

I do carry the new Antigua models and they are phenomanal.

What they did was actually reverse engineer and computer copy only the S991. The model 590 is the direct copy of this horn and is available in lacquer, silver & black nickel.

They then took the design and spec'd off the High G but left everything else the same. This is the 586 model and is only available in lacquer.

Lastly, they took the design and spec'd off the High G and the dual necks (which is essentially the difference between the S901 and S991). This is the 582 model and is only available in lacquer as well.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
SuiZen said:
The benefits :oops: of speed reading. Thanks.

The difference in list price, of $300 (Kessler's web page), just for one (G) key made me wonder if there were other differences.

Bill
Actually, Those prices will be dropping as follows:

582LQ - $695.00
586LQ - $825.00
590LQ - $925.00
590BC - $995.00
590SPC - $1025.00

Those original prices were what my father wanted to sell them at but since I have been moving a large quantity of them, I lowered the prices to more "reasonable" levels to move even more of them. The old rule of "Quantity" in sales only helps everyone.

Bill, yeah, that is the only differences in the models. The case on the 590 is the best overall but the other 2 cases are not junk either. Heck, they even kept the engraving the same on all the models.

SuiZen,
They do make that curved soprano but it is not anywhere as good as their current straight models. I am not aware of them making a new "Yanagisawa" copy curved anytime soon.

In my opinion, if you want a curved, just go all out and get the Yani because they are the only ones worth putting money into.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Paul,

Maybe you can help me convince Georgia into trying to do a solid bronze model as well? I sent her an e-mail about it over the weekend and plan to call her about it.

Just a thought!

And the "Mikey likes it" comment.... baaaaadddddd. :roll:

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
jgill2000 said:
(can anyone out there reface it for me? It needs openeing up a bit)
I do have a really good mouthpiece guy here. He is the one who did my prototype designs for our Kessler Alto & (upcoming) Tenor mouthpeices.

He does all the mouthpiece refacing work for all the locals. He grew up about 5 minutes from Ralph Morgan and learned from him.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Just a friendly reminder:

The Antigua Winds soprano saxes are Not Affiliated or Endorsed by Yanagisawa or G. LeBlanc (North American Distributor of Yanagisawa).

I was asked to clarify this standpoint by Leon Pascucci, President, CEO of G. Leblanc Corporation.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
goodsax said:
It's been my experience that Dave don't do trades. :cry:
Yes that is true as a general rule. Instead, I will sell on consignment for you.

Why dont I do trades? Simple... Its not a good deal for me and its not (overall) a good deal for you. Most dealers who do trade ins typically make so high a profit margin that even after they credit you the price for your trade in, they STILL make a profit on just the horn you are buying... plus then they have your horn that they then get to make 100% profit on.

You are Always going to be better off first trying to sell privately so that you can get the absolute most for your money.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
bradshawm said:
Dave .. His son
Just to note, I (Dave) am the "son". My father is Chuck (founder of the business and the person who playtests the saxes prior to shipping)... unfortunately, due to my once receeding hairling (a.k.a non-existant), I have been confused many a times as Kessler Sr. So now I shave it all off so that its Bald By Choice!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
DanA,

Honestly, if your local dealer has a reputable repair shop and will come close to the price that I sell them for, then buy from your local dealer.

Do make sure though to check the serial number of the horns you play. All of the New models of Antigua start with "YS". If they do not start with that, then they are handing you one of their older, inferior models.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Antigua does not stamp the model numbers on their horns (although I wish they would).

On their new sopranos, ALL have the YS serial number. The way to tell the differnt models is the features:

582 - One piece body, high F#
586 - Double neck, high F#
590 - Double neck, high G

They also have different cases and the warranty cards will have the model number on it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Re: Ribbed construction?

aeigner said:
Hi folks, I'm new here, used to play tenor many years ago, just getting back into it and have always wanted to try soprano too. So I've been reading up on sopranos and wonder what this "ribbed construction" is that is mentioned as a good quality of the Antigua line of sops. Can anyone shed some light please? Thanks, Adam
Adam,

"Ribbed" construction is 1 of 2 ways to attach the posts on to the body. It is where a large group of posts (mainly along the right side of the horn) are part of a large rib and that entire Rib is soldered to the body tube.

The other way is Post to Body where each post is soldered seperately. The Ribbed construction is stronger overall.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
aeigner said:
Thanks, Dave,

That makes sense. I see that my Mark VI tenor has something like you describe along the right side--a long plate attached to the body with several posts attached to it. I can see why that's a stronger kind of construction. Is that ribbed construction used on all to the Antigua sops (582, 586 and 590)? And is it not used on many other brands or lower priced horns?

Regard, Adam
Yes, all the Antigua model sopranos have ribbed construction. Typically, student horns have the post to body construction.

However, there are plent of Student horns that have it, (both of my Solist models at $399 & $599 respectively have it). And the Yanagisawa 901 professional series in the Bari, Alto & Tenor dont have the ribbed construction (901 Soprano does).

We find that ribbed construction can, in some cases, hinder the body vibration of the horn because of all the extra metal attached to the body tube. I personally believe that it is this reason that most student horns dont have it, makes the horns free-er blowing. It really doesnt add much to the cost of the horn in reality.

That is just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Could be a couple of things.

1. Could just be the mouthpiece/reed setup
2. Could be out of adjustment.

Also, make sure that you have the mouthpiece on far enough. On soprano, not having the mouthpiece on all the way can generate a lot of problems. On these Antigua sopranos, you need to have the mouthpiece almost All the way on the cork.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
DanA said:
Dave, what did you mean by out of adjustment? The horn or the mouthpiece?
The instrument may not have been gone over by a tech. When we get these in, many of them play pretty good right out of the box, but ALL of them are not 100% setup properly.

Could just have a few leaks in the pads. That is what I meant.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Re: "D" note wobble

Angelo said:
I just got my Antigua yesterday and its great! A problem with my low D, though, wobbling. I read an earlier post about the need to hold the bell up higher, but my question is, why is it mostly the "D" that wobbles?
Thanks!
-Ang
This is most likely due to you not having the mouthpiece on far enough. Soprano sax cna be very picky about the length of its wind column. On the Antigua sopranos, you need to be almost all the way on the cork with very little cork exposed.

The other possibility is a leak in the Right Hand, however, if there is a leak, you would have a problem with the lower notes beyond it as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts