Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Antigua Winds

They seem to be a copy of the Yanagisawa model more than the Selmer product. There have been good reports by respected players on this forum. I am interested in more reports also.
Bill
Princeton

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I'd be intersting in hearing about these also. USAHorn told me that are a computer copy of the Yanagisawa 901. Has any one played one? I'm starting to think you don't always have to spend top dollar to get a decent laying horm. MY friend(a berklee student 4th year) just bought a Cannonball soprano. He paid 1300 for it. It sounds great and he can fly over that keywork.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've recently noticed on E-bay some Antigua Winds Sopranos and the Sugal version of that brand that have high"G" keys. Have I missed something... living way out here in the boonies. Is this something new or maybe I just don't get out enough??

·
Registered
181 Posts
Antigua Winds new Sopranos.

The three newest sopranos from Antigua, the 582 (a "best buy"!!!),
586, 590, have swelling in the palm key and upper stack region, not a straight bore. This corrects the octave to octave relationship of the sax, and was part of A. Sax's design. It is quite apparent in the Vintage Bueschers, which have marvelous intonation.

This information is from Paul Coats.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
BobD, actually, I am serious. Once I played it (the 582 model), I really started wondering about the benefits of paying $3k+, or over 4 times as much, for a name brand horn. The build quality of the Antiguas (speaking of sopranos here since I haven't tried any other size of Antiguas) are in short quite astonishing. Let's put it this way: it's a horn I wouldn't have to think twice about if I had to take it on stage with me. They're THAT good. Antigua very accurately reverse-engineered the Yanagisawa line of sopranos (582 is a copy of the 901). I'd like to try their top-of-the-line soprano with the two necks (a copy of the 991). I bet that's a sweet player. A cool grand for that horn - value's written all over it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Would anyone mind if I were to refer possible customers of the Antigua sopranos discussed to this thread? I would not quote it on a website but when asked for a review of the new models, I would simply e-mail them this thread address. Is this OK with all involved?

I do carry the new Antigua models and they are phenomanal.

What they did was actually reverse engineer and computer copy only the S991. The model 590 is the direct copy of this horn and is available in lacquer, silver & black nickel.

They then took the design and spec'd off the High G but left everything else the same. This is the 586 model and is only available in lacquer.

Lastly, they took the design and spec'd off the High G and the dual necks (which is essentially the difference between the S901 and S991). This is the 582 model and is only available in lacquer as well.

·
Banned
2,287 Posts
SuiZen said:
What's the difference between the 586LQ and 590LQ besides the latter having the high F key, and the lower price of the former?
DaveKessler said:
What they did was actually reverse engineer and computer copy only the S991. The model 590 is the direct copy of this horn and is available in lacquer, silver & black nickel.

They then took the design and spec'd off the High G but left everything else the same. This is the 586 model and is only available in lacquer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
Interesting, isn't it . . . how things tend to come full circle. Yanagisawa seems to have gotten their big boost building a sax that many say was a reverse engineered copy of a Mk VI. I guess that was somewhere back in the pre-800 series models. Now they are the target. It would be quite a complement . . . if it didn't cost you market share.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
SuiZen said:
The benefits :oops: of speed reading. Thanks.

The difference in list price, of $300 (Kessler's web page), just for one (G) key made me wonder if there were other differences.

Bill
Actually, Those prices will be dropping as follows:

582LQ - $695.00
586LQ - $825.00
590LQ - $925.00
590BC - $995.00
590SPC - $1025.00

Those original prices were what my father wanted to sell them at but since I have been moving a large quantity of them, I lowered the prices to more "reasonable" levels to move even more of them. The old rule of "Quantity" in sales only helps everyone.

Bill, yeah, that is the only differences in the models. The case on the 590 is the best overall but the other 2 cases are not junk either. Heck, they even kept the engraving the same on all the models.

SuiZen,
They do make that curved soprano but it is not anywhere as good as their current straight models. I am not aware of them making a new "Yanagisawa" copy curved anytime soon.

In my opinion, if you want a curved, just go all out and get the Yani because they are the only ones worth putting money into.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased the Antigua Winds 590BC from Dave - yes, it's really a wonderful saxophone. And not just at this price point. It's a great sax period.

I shopped the 'big 4' - loved Keilwerth (SX90II) but not the price, loved Selmer (III) but not the price, liked (not loved) Yamaha (875, not the others) but not the price, and really loved Yani 901 and 991 - and was ready to live with the price. I was ready to buy the S901, which is the best deal going in the high end models.

Then I heard about the Antigua 590 from various posts here. I proceeded to ask Dave lots of questions (thanks, Dave!). He pointed me toward Paul Coats, who was VERY gracious in answering all of my questions (thanks, Paul!!). Paul really talked me into the 590 (well, and a couple of Runyon mpcs). And I'm glad he did.

Details: Intonation - great. Construction - solid, I mean really solid. Finish - the body is perfect, the keys are about 90% of what the Yani would do. Pads - no sticking, no leaks. Included mouthpiece - throw it away and buy a good one. The included ligature is made from foil, I think. (Okay, so Yani ships nicer mouthpieces!) Notes - they all play, easily. I've been enjoying playing high "G' - much to my dog's dismay.

Yup, this is a great sax. Paul and Dave speak the truth. If you've got your mind made up to buy a big 4 sax, then buy it, and help keep the economy going. But this one is FAR better than the Yamaha 475 or 675, better than the Selmer Series II, and in the same ballpark as the big 4 high end models. If you're a student, or play for your church, or don't yet have a recording contract with a major record label, you should at least give this one a try.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
1 - 20 of 241 Posts