Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on a used AW alto serial# A6126524
I was wondering if anyone can tell me which model this is.
It has a black thumb hook and engraved with the antigua plants,, and name on the bell. Also what is it worth?

I can post a photo if need be.:treble:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
jazzritmo said:
I got my hands on a used AW alto serial# A6126524
I was wondering if anyone can tell me which model this is.
It has a black thumb hook and engraved with the antigua plants,, and name on the bell. Also what is it worth?

I can post a photo if need be.:treble:
Photos would help., but even the better ones are not worth a lot. Which is not to say tey are not good horns, they just dont resell well, which is good if you want a good cheap used horn I guess.

520s sell on ebay all the times for between $200 and $400, occasionally more for the black laq models

The 521 "Big Bells" dont come up so often, and go for more.

If it doesnt have the detachable bell design, its certainly not a 520 (or 521) and is going to be harder to sell.

Sorry, cant help on the serial number, Dave Kessler might have an idea from his sales records, but he's a busy guy. I emailed antigua winds to enquire about mine, and never heard back.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Looks like a 520 to me. Very good Selmer SA-80 copies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AW Alto......

Thanks for the input, Max. I assume it is considered an intermediate sax, I know it's not a pro model. I have trouble playing the low C and all notes below the C. I hope that can be repaired.

Jazzritmo

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I agree that it looks like a 520 too.

Intermediate / Pro, all it really lacks is brand recognision and a good setup. These really are good copies of an SA80, and fantastic value used.
If you have no problem with those notes on other saxes (a lot of new players struggle down there), it just sounds like a leak maybe or some slack in the mechanism.

Personally I found them much easier to hit once I abandoned the S80 C* that came in the case, for something with a larger tip opening. Good Luck, hope you enjoy this horn as much as I enjoy mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts