Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
5,398 Posts
I’d recommend sticking with the EM since it works for you. Hopefully you’re a more solid player with a better idea of what to expect when buying a saxophone next time you grace us with a review…or whatever this was.

·
Registered
Eastern Music Ref 54 Unlacquered Tenor
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I’d recommend sticking with the EM since it works for you. Hopefully you’re a more solid player with a better idea of what to expect when buying a saxophone next time you grace us with a review…or whatever this was.
Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't meet your standards for a review? I'll be sure to check in with you as I progress, and ask you when you think it's OK to talk about my instruments on this site. Get over yourself.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd like to thank OP for sharing his experience. Most of us don't do it and he took his time to present it very well. I haven't tried any tenor from EM, but I like their curvy soprano (bell toneholes to the left, like P Mauriat PMSS 2400 GL, based on the older Yanis) ... the setup right out of the box was unbelievable... IMHO, I agree that today a cheap horn can be a good horn, they are improving and EM is doing a decent job, everyone here at SOTW praises their mouthpieces (the MBII and Fatboy Guardala-like), and the necks as well!

In this thread, I've uploaded a video and below there are some opinions and my replies. So I don't repeat myself here.

Then there is the issue with the reviews. I've been reading very detailed reviews here, for over 20+ years browsing this source of knowledge that I consider SOTW to be, and more often than not, when I get to hear how the reviewer (or some of the contrarians) plays... ouch! I think "wow, how could they? haha... I want a quarter of that self-esteem" 😅

I guess if you were reading a racing car / off-road vehicle review by me (I drive a little car to the supermarket, to my gigs, and back home) it's not gonna be of much use to the knowledgeable ones.

So there's that... I think it's always helpful to upload a video of your playing when you're reviewing a product. But always better to share than not share.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
37,784 Posts
I think it's always helpful to upload a video of your playing when you're reviewing a product. But always better to share than not share.
A brief biography would be useful. It is useful to know whether the presenter has any pertinent experience, what kind of music they play, and their baseline setup.

Reactions: cantoni

·
Registered
195 Posts
A brief biography would be useful. It is useful to know whether the presenter has any pertinent experience, what kind of music they play, and their baseline setup.
I agree! That adds, but playing for me it's what really. For the discerning ear that tells the story better than anything. If you pay attention everything is there. Words for music and sounds don't do it for me. For example, over the years of listening to some of the Steve Neff mpcs reviews, you get to understand how he plays, how he blows, and that gives and idea of how "I" will sound on that particular piece. Hope I'm making sense here haha

·
37,784 Posts
I agree! That adds, but playing for me it's what really. For the discerning ear that tells the story better than anything. If you pay attention everything is there. Words for music and sounds don't do it for me. For example, over the years of listening to some of the Steve Neff mpcs reviews, you get to understand how he plays, how he blows, and that gives and idea of how "I" will sound on that particular piece. Hope I'm making sense here haha
Check Ves’ posts to learn his depth of experience, then you’ll better understand my apparent lack of appreciation for his in-depth review.

Yes, I completely understand your perspective of Steve’s reviews. It’s all the more interesting to me because I have owned and played some of the very mouthpieces that he has reviewed. Steve is good people and a treasure to the community.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Check Ves’ posts to learn his depth of experience, then you’ll better understand my apparent lack of appreciation for his in-depth review.

Yes, I completely understand your perspective of Steve’s reviews. It’s all the more interesting to me because I have owned and played some of the very mouthpieces that he has reviewed. Steve is good people and a treasure to the community.

Yes, I did some background checks on OP :), still better to share and expose himself to bullying/reality check... it's a good conversation starter. Most of the time I'm too lazy to share things that I believe would benefit the community. Neff is a treasure no doubt, and you as well Dr G! almost 40k posts, that's love for all things saxophone above anything else!

·
Registered
Eastern Music Ref 54 Unlacquered Tenor
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
After my brow beating here, I was like ***, I know some of these guys have Eastern Music horns, so someone else must have concluded they were decent horns. So, I did a quick search and found this:
One of your esteemed members talking about how good Eastern Music Instruments are, and that they are comparable to the higher end like.. Antigua and P. Muorawhatever. Hmmm.. imagine that.

So, me, Johnny Come Lately, with less than one year of play time, buys one before ever joining this forum, makes that same conclusion, independently, but my opinion is pooh poohed, because I don't have the credentials to have an opinion. The guy tells me I'm comparing Apples to Oranges, but when he says they are comparable in quality, it's ok, because he's got the credentials to say whatever he wants.

Whatever, I get it. There's something to be said for reputation, and I have none here. I wrote what I wrote, and I stand by my conclusion.

All I can say is, WAY TO ENCOURAGE NEW MEMBER PARTICIPATION!

My replacement ProOne is now on it's way, hopefully without the problems, and a lighter action, and I get to evaluate it all over again.

·
37,784 Posts
So, me, Johnny Come Lately, with less than one year of play time, buys one before ever joining this forum, makes that same conclusion, independently, but my opinion is pooh poohed, because I don't have the credentials to have an opinion. The guy tells me I'm comparing Apples to Oranges, but when he says they are comparable in quality, it's ok, because he's got the credentials to say whatever he wants.

Whatever, I get it. There's something to be said for reputation, and I have none here. I wrote what I wrote, and I stand by my conclusion.

My replacement ProOne is now on it's way, hopefully without the problems, and a lighter action, and I get to evaluate it all over again.
Way to hang tough, Ves. You go for it!

May you get what you want, and want what you get.

Reactions: cantoni

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey Ves, welcome to SOTW. I see this thread has brought you the entire SOTW experience, including the less-than-pleasant know-it-alls. My advice for you would be to enjoy practicing and learning saxophone, and use the "ignore" button for members who frequently come at you in a combative manner. It makes SOTW much better!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,420 Posts
Ok, I also own the same Eastern Music tenor and have owned several 2001 and Blue Label tenors. While the tone is very close to that of the 2001, it’s not even close when it comes to build quality, materials or design. I sold my last 2001 because I though at the time I wouldn’t be able to play anymore. Despite that fact, I wasn’t going to be without a horn, so kept the Eastern Music because I was in it for very little. Were I a playing professional, I would keep the 2001 over an Eastern Music horn 100% of the time. Of course this is just my take and if the OP is happy with his horn, all is well!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts