Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,451 Posts
Ok, I also own the same Eastern Music tenor and have owned several 2001 and Blue Label tenors. While the tone is very close to that of the 2001, it’s not even close when it comes to build quality, materials or design. I sold my last 2001 because I though at the time I wouldn’t be able to play anymore. Despite that fact, I wasn’t going to be without a horn, so kept the Eastern Music because I was in it for very little. Were I a playing professional, I would keep the 2001 over an Eastern Music horn 100% of the time. Of course this is just my take and if the OP is happy with his horn, all is well!

2,451 Posts
Saxophones are made with a lot of parts, many pads that need to seal well, many of those mechanisms interacting with others. All this can present opportunities for leaks and a lousy playing horn. No manufacturer is immune to leaks in a new horn, be it poor QC or poor packaging for shipment. Even Selmer is known for arriving with leaks that need immediate attention. Unfortunately the nature of the beast. Have I owned horns that needed nothing when I got them? Yes, though they were the exception. Coincidently, the two cheapest horns I own arrived playing perfectly, so there’s little relationship with cost.

2,451 Posts
As far as mechanisms go, a saxophone is not that complicated. It's levers. The bottom line is it has a couple dozen holes that need to seal up on demand. It's not rocket science. It's basic mechanics which haven't changed much for decades; make the parts precisely, assemble them precisely, test it, if it doesn't work properly adjust it until it does, or scrap it. Maybe 50-80 years ago these excuses could be made, but not with today's technology. An if it happens in shipping there' no excuse either; package it better, test the packaging to make sure.
All I can do is smile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts