Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
I listened to Don Braden, whose playing I love, and who endorses them, and I thought I'd bite on the 'new' one on eBay.
(First. It IS in new shape. So I got lucky).
After a week I have to say it is a wonderful sounding horn. And I'm playing it back and forth with a very good VI and a Mauriat 66RUL.
This plays a little bigger and thicker than the Selmer and does have a wonderful tone.
As another endorser said to me, it's good enough to play through a whole professional career.
We'll see. I'm trying to chat with Don Braden about what brought him to Antigua.
I cannot argue with any of that! :)

I initially bought it as a horn for the super casual bar gigs where I don't trust leaving my original lacquer VI on the stand. My main axe for playing out has been a silver plated SA80III which is something of a blaster. Great horn - clearly more in your face than the VI. When that one got knocked over by a drunken patron I felt like something less valuable for most gigs would be prudent.

That led me to the Pro One as I picked one up at a nice price. It has since become my favorite tenor period. The more I play it - the better I like it. Darker and easier to play at both the extreme highs and the bell tones. Very pleased other than with the overall weight of it. It is a bit of a tank.

I liked it so much I bought a matching alto. A buddy of mine took this shot on Sunday - I was playing at the Jose Rizal Jazz Festival in Seattle.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Interesting that several of you are comparing this to Keilwerth. Come to think of it - I do like the Keilwerth sound but do not care for the ergos and for some reason had more difficulty playing altissimo on the SX90R in both tenor and alto. More of an issue on tenor IIRC but it's been a while.

I always felt that the KW horns felt too big in my hands. My VI and 62 felt just right and the SBA/BA altos feel almost too small.
In any event I remain a fan of the Pro One. Normally I've got GAS big time but really don't feel the need to even look at any other horn unless someone wants to trade an Ishimori tenor for the Pro One. The one I played in the Ishimori shop in Tokyo was just the best thing I have ever played period. :)

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I had a similar experience when I bought my Barone 12 years ago. I hardly play my 875 Custom these days preferring many of the characteristics of the Barone, although like your Pro One it's the heaviest tenor I own. Several months back when Quinn was selling that whole load of Antigua horns cheap I was tempted to pick one up but I just couldn't justify it even with the near fire-sale prices he was selling them at.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,585 Posts
Several months back when Quinn was selling that whole load of Antigua horns cheap I was tempted to pick one up but I just couldn't justify it even with the near fire-sale prices he was selling them at.
I know Quinn was selling a lot of Antigua Winds saxophones but I don't recall that any ProOne models were offered....did he have some listed during this sale?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know Quinn was selling a lot of Antigua Winds saxophones but I don't recall that any ProOne models were offered....did he have some listed during this sale?
i bought a Pro One from someone who bought one from Quinn.
He had bought it for his son, but that didn't work out and it had essentially never been played when I got it (at a very good price).
I have commented here several times how much I like it.
I'm waiting to discover that I've lost my mind because I like it more than my very good VI, which I have listed for sale, and a wonderful 10m (different animal and I probably still prefer the 10M sound but the easier ergos and the terrific sound of the Pro One have me using it exclusively. I also have a Mauriat 66 RUL that I like a ton. But when I go to play, I go for the Antigua 90% of the time. I just played the VI against it to make sure and I put it back in the case after 10 minutes and picked up the Pro One.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I believe he had a few because I commented at the time that would have considered buying one of the Pro One altos if I played more alto. I think he had more Power Bell models to offer so they didn't go as quickly.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I bought a Powerbell tenor last year after reading the post by JohnInDenver. I was actually looking for a used Pro horn locally (like YTS-62) but the deals by Quinn was too good. Initially I was checking with Quinn on the Pro one tenor but I didn't buy it right away bc I wanted to check one Yamaha 62 locally. That 62 didn't look good when I checked it, and when I asked Quinn again for the Pro one tenor, it was sold. So I ended up with a Powerbell with a crazy low price. This is actually my second Antigua horn as 10 years ago I bought my first soprano (Antigua SS3286) from Kessler so I knew the brand.

I am quite surprised that Antigua has been low profile in the past few years. Every dealer seems to sell them as closeout sale (including Kessler). Even one of the biggest sax shop in my city who used to carry Antigua no longer sell them. Antigua gained its name about 10 years ago and they owed big thanks to Kessler who used to be the only US dealer for them. But I am under an impression that while some of other Taiwanese companies are catching up (like Trevor James, Eastman, etc), Antigua seemed going backward. I still subscribed their FB page and they are quite active on FB. A few months ago I did hear from a local well known tech comment on Antigua that he noticed that their quality have been kind of going down in the past few years and they have been getting more issues than before.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I bought a Powerbell tenor last year after reading the post by JohnInDenver. I was actually looking for a used Pro horn locally (like YTS-62) but the deals by Quinn was too good. Initially I was checking with Quinn on the Pro one tenor but I didn't buy it right away bc I wanted to check one Yamaha 62 locally. That 62 didn't look good when I checked it, and when I asked Quinn again for the Pro one tenor, it was sold. So I ended up with a Powerbell with a crazy low price. This is actually my second Antigua horn as 10 years ago I bought my first soprano (Antigua SS3286) from Kessler so I knew the brand.

I am quite surprised that Antigua has been low profile in the past few years. Every dealer seems to sell them as closeout sale (including Kessler). Even one of the biggest sax shop in my city who used to carry Antigua no longer sell them. Antigua gained its name about 10 years ago and they owed big thanks to Kessler who used to be the only US dealer for them. But I am under an impression that while some of other Taiwanese companies are catching up (like Trevor James, Eastman, etc), Antigua seemed going backward. I still subscribed their FB page and they are quite active on FB. A few months ago I did hear from a local well known tech comment on Antigua that he noticed that their quality have been kind of going down in the past few years and they have been getting more issues than before.
If my posting influenced you to buy the Antigua, I hope you are happy with it! I am certainly happy with my PowerBell tenor. I wonder what kind of issues your local well-known tech is seeing with Antiguas. Did he mention anything specific that I can look out for? For the moment, I would describe mine as rock-solid, and I hope yours is too!

·
Registered
205 Posts
If my posting influenced you to buy the Antigua, I hope you are happy with it! I am certainly happy with my PowerBell tenor. I wonder what kind of issues your local well-known tech is seeing with Antiguas. Did he mention anything specific that I can look out for? For the moment, I would describe mine as rock-solid, and I hope yours is too!
Yes I am very happy with it. The price offered by Quinn was kind of insane. I could not remember last time I saw some brand new Taiwanese horn come with such deep discount. This is the only Tenor I own so I don't know how it compare to the real Pro horn (big four). But I have confidence that it will compare well with its counterpart (such as Barone, P mauriat, etc).

My horn did arrive with a few issues, nothing major. I took it to the tech I mentioned a few months ago, and those issues didn't seem to have major effect on my playing (in other words, I don't feel significant improvement after adjustment). He described one issue on my horn as "one common issue" for the Antigua sax they saw in the past few years, was that the High F left palm key is kind of loose (he shook the F palm key rod to show me how loose it moved around). He did mention that they stopped carrying the brand about 3 years ago since they had been getting more issues like this. And he told me that based on their experience the Antigua Powerbell model require more frequent adjustment than other Pro horns. But he really like the Model 25 series and he thought the Model 25 is the best model among their professional lines.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts