Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm interested by this sax. I've read lot of things on it, and listened to some videos, and even had a mail discussion with M. Ponzol about it.
I still have some questions:

How does it weights? I've read some people finds it's heavy. I think 3.5 kg should be max for my neck.

Concerning ergos, do they improved pearls sharpness of first releases? I've read too some players feel they were sharp on edge.

About finish, how does it stands over time? I've seen some pics which show pretty bad lacquer tarnish over engraving. Is this common on this sax?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/windbros/10007410/ especially this pic http://image.rakuten.co.jp/windbros/cabinet/02960656/imgrc0065357962.jpg

Players who played it for a while, what's your feelings about it, still satisfied with it?

Thanks in advance for answers.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hello,

I'm interested by this sax. I've read lot of things on it, and listened to some videos, and even had a mail discussion with M. Ponzol about it.

How does it weights? I've read some people finds it's heavy. I think 3.5 kg should be max for my neck.

Concerning ergos, do they improved pearls sharpness of first releases? I've read too some players feel they were sharp on edge.

About finish, how does it stands over time? I've seen some pics which show pretty bad lacquer tarnish over engraving. Is this common on this sax?

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/windbros/10007410/ especially this pic http://image.rakuten.co.jp/windbros/cabinet/02960656/imgrc0065357962.jpg

Players who played it for a while, what's your feelings about it, still satisfied with it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,890 Posts
@Jazziswaswillbe , you wrote you comment WITHIN the quote box, if you do that you comment becomes visually invisible and collapsed in the curtain quote box, always write comments outside the quote box.

@Janosax

find some comments here

I tried this saxophone briefly and failed to see what the fuss of the triple arms and rolled toneholes at the bottom was about.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hello,

·
Registered
417 Posts
I play one as my main horn for about 3 years now. So I couldn't comment in 2016...Seems pointless answering to a 5 year old thread now.

·
Registered
417 Posts
As Milandro said, "failed to see what the fuss of the triple arms and rolled tone holes at the bottom was about ".
Maybe they are easier to adjust using the screws than manually bending keys if they get out of whack. But they are firmly made and never needed any adjustments.

I used to own a few Keilwerths (SX90r) over the years, but I sold them long ago. After a 3 year hiatus I decided to buy a tenor again. It was the Antigua ProOne.
I leaned towards this sax because Peter Ponzol co-designed this horn. He has also a link to Keilwerth. The key work definitely leans more towards the Keilwerth layout than the Selmer tight action keys. Intonation is great. Tone and focus is difficult to say for me. It depends on yourself, mpc and reed. It has a big bottom end.
I also love the ergonomics. The horn is well built.
It is my main horn because it's the only tenor I own for the moment. When I ever upgrade I will definitely keep it as a backup horn. I will never sell it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
As Milandro said, "failed to see what the fuss of the triple arms and rolled tone holes at the bottom was about ".
Maybe they are easier to adjust using the screws than manually bending keys if they get out of whack. But they are firmly made and never needed any adjustments.

I used to own a few Keilwerths (SX90r) over the years, but I sold them long ago. After a 3 year hiatus I decided to buy a tenor again. It was the Antigua ProOne.
I leaned towards this sax because Peter Ponzol co-designed this horn. He has also a link to Keilwerth. The key work definitely leans more towards the Keilwerth layout than the Selmer tight action keys. Intonation is great. Tone and focus is difficult to say for me. It depends on yourself, mpc and reed. It has a big bottom end.
I also love the ergonomics. The horn is well built.
It is my main horn because it's the only tenor I own for the moment. When I ever upgrade I will definitely keep it as a backup horn. I will never sell it.

·
41,890 Posts
Thanks. Great to hear.
@Jazziswaswillbe

You can write all you want and then click on quote the message that you are responding to the system in that case will add automatically the quote (to the bottom part) or otherwise you quote first and then write your comment outside the quote box.

Peter ponzol has had more cooperations with makers than probably any other player.

Some of them lated only months (like with Borgani) despite liking the Ponzol Keilwerth I am less convinced by the Pro One. There are also other PP saxophones out there which are Asian made but probably not made by Antigua.

·
Registered
415 Posts
@Jazziswaswillbe

You can write all you want and then click on quote the message that you are responding to the system in that case will add automatically the quote (to the bottom part) or otherwise you quote first and then write your comment outside the quote box.

Peter ponzol has had more cooperations with makers than probably any other player.

Some of them lated only months (like with Borgani) despite liking the Ponzol Keilwerth I am less convinced by the Pro One. There are also other PP saxophones out there which are Asian made but probably not made by Antigua.
Less convinced - because you have played one, or spoken to players who have, or because the literature on these horns isn't convincing?

·
41,890 Posts
Less convinced - because you have played one, or spoken to players who have, or because the literature on these horns isn't convincing?
if you had followed the link that I gave above ^ which would have brought you to an extensive thread several pages long, you would have found the post that I will now quote for you

Yes, I have briefly played it at the Frankfurt trade fair, a good horn but probably not for the obvious marketing things ( metal used , hybrid toneholes, triple arms).

I am sure that there is going to be much curiosity about this new horn at the Musikmesse. Peter Ponzol is always been involved with projects that left a mark on the market and his previous co-operations have produced some impressive results.

I am disappointed by the obvious marketing mumbo jumbo involving the particular vintage metal, while I am intrigued as to the scientific base of the hybrid tone-hole construction influence on sound ( so someone has determined that rolled toneholes have an influence on sound? This might very well be but how since the rolling happens outside of the tonehole? I would like Martinmods to comment on that as he is an expert about this acoustic aspects ) and the real need to have an even heavier triple arms construction of the B and Bb (but look forward to see if there is any improvement on the problematic adjusters).

However, even if some of this could be simple window-dressing , the proof of any pudding.........right, you know what I mean! So, if this axe will cut the mustard it will, even if it would be only a dressed up good horn, it needs being a very good horn to impress in this day and age.

But much is going to happen in SAXONIA , we have heard of Jim Schmidt's horn being finally produced, of Powell flutes coming up with a new super all-American made sax promising innovative but yet unspecified great things, and only recently another member here has briefed us on his projects to introduce a new key system to be applied on a innovative and extended range C saxophone.

Very exciting indeed! This clearly shows the fact that the makers see the current market as being saturated and in need of something new to revitalise it.
Interest in wind instrument is shrinking and the number of makers is rising therefore if one keeps on producing the same old stuff, sooner or later will hit rock bottom.

We will see a lot of re-structuring and innovation (some of which will be just pointless marketing) in the coming years, I am sure.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I picked up a Pro One as a backup. Pleasantly surprised. Darker than my SA80III but with easier altissimo. The trident adjuster came in handy for adjusting a slight leak on the low C. Feels kind of large overall. Absolutely love the finish. Speaks really well - very easy subtones. All in all - very happy indeed.
Took some photos yesterday as we have a nice blanket of cherry blossoms on our driveway.

·
41,890 Posts
nice pictures, beautiful horn, I still think the triple arm simply make the horn heavier and offer a solution to a problem that isn’t there (most saxophones with a single arm close just fine if well adjusted)

·
Registered
332 Posts
nice pictures, beautiful horn, I still think the triple arm simply make the horn heavier and offer a solution to a problem that isn't there (most saxophones with a single arm close just fine if well adjusted)
Thanks! Appreciate the kudos and perspective.

The horn does feel heavy overall. Personally the trident arms saved me a trip to my tech so while not essential- they came in handy.

My favorite thing about it may be the mixed straight and RTH construction. I've always liked the Keilwerth / 10m sound but weirdly struggled with altissimo on KW / Conn RTH tenors vs Yamaha, Selmer etc. My unscientific guess is that RTH everywhere may be a detriment to my personal playing peccadilloes.

Clearly I need better technique but this horn has easy access to altissimo and the slightly darker timbre I've been leaning towards. 2nd only to the Ishimori tenor I played at their shop for altissimo and ease of sound production.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks! Appreciate the kudos and perspective.

The horn does feel heavy overall. Personally the trident arms saved me a trip to my tech so while not essential- they came in handy.

My favorite thing about it may be the mixed straight and RTH construction. I've always liked the Keilwerth / 10m sound but weirdly struggled with altissimo on KW / Conn RTH tenors vs Yamaha, Selmer etc. My unscientific guess is that RTH everywhere may be a detriment to my personal playing peccadilloes.

Clearly I need better technique but this horn has easy access to altissimo and the slightly darker timbre I've been leaning towards. 2nd only to the Ishimori tenor I played at their shop for altissimo and ease of sound production.
I listened to Don Braden, whose playing I love, and who endorses them, and I thought I'd bite on the 'new' one on eBay.
(First. It IS in new shape. So I got lucky).
After a week I have to say it is a wonderful sounding horn. And I'm playing it back and forth with a very good VI and a Mauriat 66RUL.
This plays a little bigger and thicker than the Selmer and does have a wonderful tone.
As another endorser said to me, it's good enough to play through a whole professional career.
We'll see. I'm trying to chat with Don Braden about what brought him to Antigua.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,588 Posts
I'm trying to chat with Don Braden about what brought him to Antigua.
I have had contact with Don Braden because I recently bought a Gold Plated RS Berkeley Virtuoso Tenor....part of what swayed me to buy it was how wonderful Don sounds on his that he has had for several years. What brought him to playing Antigua Winds is that previous to playing the Virtuoso which he (and I too) feels closer to a Selmer vibe is that he wanted to get back to the heavier sound of Keilwerth vibe which for him the Antigua Winds is delivering.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts