Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried a whole bunch of saxophones (Eastman 52nd Street, Antigua ProOne, Yamaha 82Z, Yamaha 82EX, Yamaha 62, Selmer Series II, Selmer Reference 54, P Mauriat PMXA-67R, P Mauriat System 76 2nd Edition, Antigua Powerbell AS4248, and maybe a few more that I don't remember) and other than the Selmer Reference 54, which was a decent amount out of my budget being that it's over $6000, the Antigua Powerbell AS4248 was my favorite horn. However, I was wondering if the Antigua was going to be a high quality saxophone that will last me for quite awhile? I know that the way a sax feels and plays is usually the most important part, but I also don't want a horn that's going to cause me a whole bunch of issues later. Also, besides build quality, what is everyone's thoughts on the Antigua Powerbell AS4248 if any of you have played one before?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
While I can't speak to any other Antigua horn, my soprano has worked out great for me. I have a 2004 Antigua 590 soprano that's still going strong with only a bare minimum of maintenance over the last 15 years. It doesn't feel quite as solid as some higher end horns, but not flimsy by any means. I can only imagine Antigua's horns have gotten even better with time (materials, fit, finish, etc.) so if you really like it I say go for it. I'm hoping to upgrade my soprano to a higher end horn some day (thinking YSS-62 or 875EX, or maybe a Rampone & Cazzani), but I'm in no rush. It serves me just fine.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've had a 590 soprano since 2005. No issues and no maintenance except for replacing a neck cork and a couple of cork bumpers. I like mine a lot.

·
Registered
33 Posts
These are great horns. I own a bunch of horns. B&S, Yamaha 62, P Mauriat 76, 2 Selmer Balanced actions, a Mark VI, and a Reference 54. The Antigua's are the ones I gig with. They are modern horns with great intonation but a vintage sound.
They don't break the bank but deliver as a great gig and recording horn, and the finishes are cool looking. Check out Adrian Crutchfield or Marcus Anderson they both play them and both toured with Prince. There is a bunch of videos on YouTube where they are playing the PowerBells.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts