Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was test driving a Pro One at the Frankfurt Musikmesse this year, and was asked to do a video and say a word or two about the horn.

When I'd finished, the rep asked me to sign a consent form for them to use the video on Youtube. I asked them to email me the form after the show, as I did not want to give consent there and then as I had been asked to endorse some different saxophones and this would not have been good if I had become an endorser.

As it happened I decided to stick to my original plan not to be an endorser of any saxophone (for obvious reasons) and so would have been happy to sign the form.

However they never sent me the form, BUT they did put the video up on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRBsU6bfj4o

With me making some very complimentary comments about the horn. I won't ask them to remove it, because I would have given my permission anyway, it just would have been nice if they'd asked my permission.

It's still a great horn, better than the Selmers there as I mentioned. (but not quite up to the R & C which I bought)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I've had something similar done to me where data from my report was used in someone else's marketing.

I believe you should still call and talk to them about this. Marketing people are often risk takers and can go too far. If they do this to you, they will do it to others where it may end up hurting them. I recommend you talk to the supervisor of the employee you talked to when you made the video. Let them know that even though you are glad to let them use the video, the fact that they did not send or wait for the proper releases might have hurt you financially if you had made the planned endorsement deal. Such acts could have made Antigua liable for your loss.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
I agree with Enviroguy. If it were me I'd be inclined to call them and say that while I was once content to consent to such use of my comments, their going ahead without my express permission means all bets are off.
If they're prepared to pull this stunt, what else might they do?

Regards,

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they're prepared to pull this stunt, what else might they do?
Exactly, however I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it's an honest mistake rather than "pulling a stunt", but I agree I should heed your and Enviroguy's words of wisdom and not just let it be.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I had Charlie A do that with a correspondence I sent him about his BBQ tenor mpc. I didn't care if he used my words but I did care that he used my name on his advertisements without my permission. Over about a three month period, I sent him three letters but he never removed my name. I didn't care for that. Unfortunately, the issue was overcome by events.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Quote from some illustriuos personage who's name I forget.

"All it takes for evil to thrive is for good men to sit by and do nothing"

Just look at the banks in the USA and now Europe if in doubt about the veracity of the quote.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,483 Posts
they didn't video me and Nitai when we tested their horn.............I wonder why!?![rolleyes]:twisted:

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Pete,

You could challenge the copyright via Youtube, they can be a real pita. 1. because I highly doubt living, breathing creatures work there because 2. they never respond to messages...;-)

·
39,483 Posts
They didn't want to show our bleeding fingers from the sharp finger pearls.......
maybe that was the case for not videoing you :D in my case it was , I am pretty certain the poor playing than did it :bluewink: ........:whistle: (and yes the pearls were very sharp, indeed!)

·
3,259 Posts
Are you being modest Milandro? :)

·
39,483 Posts
unfortunately just realistic :(

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,057 Posts
Heck one unnamed company used my name regarding products I had never seen from them.

THAT was a bit annoying. Of course it was also a bit flattering as I didnt know anyone gave a rats A&& about what I thought.

·
3,259 Posts
I don't wish to hijack however I am wondering how many people do actually pay attention to endorsements? I truly have no idea.

·
39,483 Posts
well, it truly depends on the endorser......... I know Pete, so if I should see him endorsing a certain product I might be tempted to want t check it out. I doubt it would make me buy something that I wouldn't otherwise like but t could bring me to check out something that I might not have considered.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,300 Posts
I dunno - I think the use of your name and playing after having been discussed with them is just unacceptable.

However, as far as the horn in the youtube clip goes, it sounded like . . . a tenor!!! It is more about how the player reacts to a horn's response, feel, and output than how an audience hears it, I think. Once the player likes what he/she is playing, then the audience enjoys the sound. If the player WASN'T happy with an instrument, THEN the audience would clearly pick up on that.

Interesting little clip and I'm glad I was able to watch it, even if it was done without your permission. They owe you at least an apology. DAVE

·
Registered
66 Posts
You should definitely write them to make things clear. May be it's a misunderstanding...may be not. I would give them benefit of doubt, but who knows. In any case, the horn sounded great! good job!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,522 Posts
I wonder now how many of the AntiguaChannel demos were with consent.

Tom Powalski certainly played to the camera. What a ham bone! Hah!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts