Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much has been said about the strap ring on most C tenors. The hanging position of the horn is too vertical, allowing the mouthpiece to rear up with potential damage to front teeth.
Most of us reposition the ring an inch or so down the horn or add a second, lower, ring.
It is a shame to deviate from the original, but justified for comfort & safety.
I enclose a photograph of the modification I applied to my Martin....with apologies to the King Knuckleduster....

2,011 Posts
I do this with all my Conns.....I have always wondered why did Conn do this when it seems most other brands did not......and why did the players of the earlier days not have issues with it.......seems odd to me that almost all Conns I have bought and it is many had not already had this done yet had been played many years by someone.......

· Registered
197 Posts
I have limited sax exposure (1 Conn C-Mel 20 years ago that I don't remember well, and a 1921 Buescher TT C-Mel now) so I don't really know how a sax is supposed to hang. My Buescher ring is set high enough that the horn does not balance, the bottom wants to go down.

I assume the ideal placement has the horn almost perfectly balanced between top and bottom, so that it takes no force to keep it in the proper playing position, other than the weight bearing on the strap. Is that the way it's supposed to work?

It would be helpful to future generations of C-Mel modders to have a little database of where new rings have been placed and how well they work. Measurement could be relative to the original ring or relative to the top of the neck tenon, for example.

I'm seriously contemplating having this mod done (I don't think I want to tackle it myself) and would love to know where to place it, rather than the Tech having to guess.

· Registered
1,241 Posts
I;ve done this with my 10m, best thing i ever did, some people also suggest fitting a Selmer style thumb hook also but i find just by moving the strap ring is enough to take that pressure off your thumb.

Regarding the strap ring i saw Steve Goodson was selling a three ring "knuckleduster" that really lookes good, similar to the old King ones.

· Registered
1,241 Posts
Forgot to add, to find the right position i rigged everything up with zip ties then when i found the "sweet spot" got my tech to reposition the ring......Geez i hope Grumps doesent see this thread he's really against this mod, but he does have a really nice silver plated 10m so i can understand why.

2,315 Posts
I'm thinking of repositioning the strap ring on my '29 Martin Typewriter tenor. It hurts the thumb sitting or standing!

· Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,582 Posts
I can't remember exactly which brand did this but I've read in the past you could buy a gizmo which you would put onto your ring and move the fulcrum somewhere else. This wouldn't probably be much more effective than adding a ring or two but it would be having the advantage of leaving your horn completely original.Not everyone would want to deface his precious horn (I am not naming names or brands here) by burning the lacquer to add a ring or two.

6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I

Regarding the strap ring i saw Steve Goodson was selling a three ring "knuckleduster" that really lookes good, similar to the old King ones.
Not, I believe in silver.
I had mine made in solid silver to match the existing diamond shaped escutcheon plate.

metaphorse.
I lower the ring about an inch. Simple to establish your preference with a tie wrap holding a loop of string. In the case of my Martin, the second ring is 19mm below the first (& about right for me), with the third ring a further 19mm down. This latter position is a trifle lower than ideal as I have to push slightly with my right thumb....however, this is the position I use on stage; the sax hangs at about 45 degrees which means that I do not have to hold it away from me when playing harp.

43,582 Posts
Ok, It should be called a Codera ADDjust Balancer and you can find it here at the bottom of the page

http://www.saxshop.nl/contents/nl/d82_duimsteunen.html
Wolfgang Codera's ADDjust® Balancer

"......The position of the neck strap ring of a saxophone, bass clarinet or bassoon is standardized but actually does not fit most players. Using different types of neck straps cannot achieve the results which are relevant concerning physiological aspects. The ADDjust® Balancer helps balancing the instrument in a physiological way. The "balancer" will allow you to vary the angle between instrument and your body. .........."

· Registered
84 Posts
Ok, It should be called a Codera ADDjust Balancer and you can find it here at the bottom of the page

http://www.saxshop.nl/contents/nl/d82_duimsteunen.html
Wolfgang Codera's ADDjust® Balancer

"......The position of the neck strap ring of a saxophone, bass clarinet or bassoon is standardized but actually does not fit most players. Using different types of neck straps cannot achieve the results which are relevant concerning physiological aspects. The ADDjust® Balancer helps balancing the instrument in a physiological way. The "balancer" will allow you to vary the angle between instrument and your body. .........."
Holy cow! I can't believe there is only one place in the world to get these and that is the price!!! With all of us in the woodwork, you'd think there would another option....Perhaps one of you guys could fabricate something for us :mrgreen:

43,582 Posts
there were many places where you get this product, last but not least by its inventor, Wolfgang Codera, but I am afraid it has been discontinued .

You complain about the price but this ain't a three ring strap hook for 20$ ( à la " he who shan't be named" ) this is a way more complicated thing which allows you to change the position of your saxophone to the point that you can balance the horn according to your height and playing preferences.

Remember if you buy a 20$ ring, most of the players will still have to bring it to a tech which will burn your lacquer to install it (unless you have a unlacquered, silver or nickel saxophone.... ok!) and charge you even more money for doing that for you. This is something that you can install yourself and if you ever sell your horn you won't have depreciated it because of your add on, moreover you take it to your next horn!

· Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,055 Posts
...This is something that you can install yourself...
If it was still available...:(

I made something not dissimilar out of Meccano, which bolted thro' the ring, just to find the ideal position !

Building it brought back childhood memories, of course it was only for tests...

· Registered
84 Posts
there were many places where you get this product, last but not least by its inventor, Wolfgang Codera, but I am afraid it has been discontinued .

You complain about the price but this ain't a three ring strap hook for 20$ ( à la " he who shan't be named" ) this is a way more complicated thing which allows you to change the position of your saxophone to the point that you can balance the horn according to your height and playing preferences.

Remember if you buy a 20$ ring, most of the players will still have to bring it to a tech which will burn your lacquer to install it (unless you have a unlacquered, silver or nickel saxophone.... ok!) and charge you even more money for doing that for you. This is something that you can install yourself and if you ever sell your horn you won't have depreciated it because of your add on, moreover you take it to your next horn!
...can't argue with that logic!!!! Very true!
Fester

· Registered
84 Posts
If it was still available...:(

I made something not dissimilar out of Meccano, which bolted thro' the ring, just to find the ideal position !

Building it brought back childhood memories, of course it was only for tests...
AH Yes!!! thought that sounded familiar......

Meccano was invented in 1901 in England by Frank Hornby and manufactured by the British company, Meccano Ltd, between 1908 and 1980. It is now manufactured in France and China. Currently sold "Erector Sets" are actually Meccano sets manufactured by Meccano S.N. of France, part of the Nikko Group of Japan.

Alan...there could be a market :)

· Registered
643 Posts
it is still available where I've pointed you before
Well, I've just bought one (thanks for pointing me to this milandro!)
The good news - it's even further discounted to 48 euros. Bad news - shipping was 20 Euro - so just under $A100 all up.
I expect it would have cost me less to have a second ring added to my Conn C-melody but I wasn't that keen on doing this to a lovely old horn. Granted I'd already had it modified by the addition of some engraving by Jason DuMars, but an extra ring isn't something that would enhance the look of the horn and there would have been no guarantee of getting it in exactly the right spot (even with preliminary experimentation as described above).
I'll report back once I receive it.

43,582 Posts
for that kind of money this has to be a great buy. I don't have a " problem" with any of my horns really so I won't buy one but if you do this is probably the best thing STILL on the market for you.

· Registered
197 Posts
C-Melody's Meccano solution gave me an idea.

Introducing the Miller C-Mel-lower (TM).

Materials:

about 4 inches of aluminum 1/2" x 3/4" angle
1 @ 1/4"x20 machine screw
[email protected] 1/4x20 nut (wings optional)
[email protected] zip-tie

This took about 20 minutes to make. The length of the bracket is necessary to find a clear place to wrap the zip-tie without interfering with the keywork.

For my Buescher, the perfect balance point is probably about 1/4" north of the lower hole, but this is close enough. Both holes work acceptably.

Thanks for the inspiration, C-Melody! This makes playing the horn so much easier! Don't know if I'll keep it permanently or get another ring soldered, but it certainly helps locate the second ring, at the very least.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.