Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Charlie Parker Boss Bird 4 CD box set. If you are not familiar with it, the set contains most of Parker's studio recordings from 1944-55 from the Verve, Savoy, and Dial lables. I use these recordings to help me through my Omnibook studies.

My question involves the full version of Anthropology. I love the melody of the song and came across it while flipping through my Real Book, then I found the full version in the Omnibook. Now I was fairly sure I'd heard it before, but couldn't figure out from where as it is not listed as part of the CD set. When listening to disc one "Ornithology" I did in fact hear the Anthropology head. Parker and Gillespie are playing the head during the last chorus of "Thriving on a Riff". I can only make the assumption that "Thriving on a Riff" was an early recorded version of "Anthropology", but that still leaves me in the dark as to where the Omnibook version was transcribed from. Does anybody here know where I can get my hands on the full version of Anthropology with the Omnibook solo? Does it even exist?

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's a great question. I've got all of the Omnibook solos on tape except for that one solo.

Anyone?

·
Registered
618 Posts
If I am not mistaken - and I often am - the little "COLUMBIA 34831" is the recording number of the particular transcription.

If you are diligent, you can find the exact recordings by using the various numbers in the Omnibook.

dv

ps. in the Introduction, Jamey Abersold mentions in the second to last paragraph:

"The records from which these solos are taken are listed at the top of each solo page."

Just an FYI for those who don't know

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
587 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks johnnysax, that's a cool article and I love wikipedia. Another one of my favorite songs "Red Cross" falls in the catagory as well. I haven't heard anything new that uses the same progression, that's a shame as it's a good one.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Anthropology Omnibook Version

Its from a live thing with Bird, Diz,Bud Powell,Roy Haynes .Symphony Sid introduces the broadcast - my copy is on Saga on LP .

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017, Distinguished SOTW me
3,426 Posts
Thomas Owens in his book "Bebop" describes it as "..an I Got Rhythm contrafact entitled Thriving from a Riff (later to be altered and renamed Anthropology)..." pg 18

Ornithology - "(the hidden theme is How High the Moon) pg 19 same book

For transcriptions go to
www/saxsolos.com
tell him sparky sent you

If that doesnt work out PM me and I'll send you Andrew Whites telephone number in DC

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anthropology

That version of Anthropology is available on various "Live at Birdland" CD sets from the Ember label.

Look for a set dated March 31, 1951, with the following tunes, to make sure it's the right set.

Introduction
Blue n Boogie
Anthropology (starts with Sid's voice saying Anthropology)
Round Midnight
Night in Tunisia
Jumpin with Symphony Sid

It's a smoking set. When reading it with the Omnibook, it seems like the Omnibook author stuck in a few extra measures somewhere near the beginning of the solo. On the other hand, the tempo is so blisteringly fast that's it's hard to even follow the notes, let alone read them. The tone quality is typical radio recording of the time, that is to say, it's terrible, but Bird still sounds gloriously loose going at speeds that many of us (like me) can only dream of.

·
Registered
130 Posts
More on Anthropology

Interesting. I kept listening further on the Ember CD and at one point in a different tune a drunk yelled "Dizzy! Play my number!!!" and it jogged a memory of hearing that yell before many years ago. A quick trip to the basement revealed a long-forgotten LP -- Charlie Parker Vol 5 / Bird and Diz from Saga Records on their Ero label (Ero 8035). I bought it in college thirty years ago at a cut-rate cut-out record sale.

Anyway, I listened to it compared it to the CD version that I have, and doggone if the CD version did in fact leave out about four measures compared to the LP version.

Well, it's still a smoking set. It has Dizzy and Bud Powell and Roy Haynes and Tommy Potter (not that you can actually hear the bass on the recording).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
SuperAction80 said:
Does anybody here know where I can get my hands on the full version of Anthropology with the Omnibook solo? Does it even exist?
That version of Anthropology can be found on "The New York Anthology - 1950-1954" on iTunes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts