Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard the news that he hung himself in a hotel room this morning. I have enjoyed him and enjoyed his great show Parts Unknown, since the show first came on. Kitchen Confidential is also fantastic! I’ve learned so much about food, culture, history, etc... from him. He was incredibly interesting and an amazing storyteller. I am always drawn to very passionate, original people....and he was certainly that. He always had my attention because he was so real. Very very sad news indeed.

Very sad news.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,018 Posts
Damn! Gone from this world, another truly original person. My first exposure to Bourdain’s show was 10 years ago while spending 20 days recovering in a hospital. His unique and genuine style helped lighten the mood, which was much appreciated. Anyway, I’m very saddened by this news and the ever increasing suicide rate!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
That one's hit me hard- I've been a big fan since Kitchen Confidential. I was only discussing what a great character and raconteur he was last night with friends... very sad.

·
2,853 Posts
I was recently asked with whom I'd like to have a good meal. My answer without hesitation was Anthony Bourdain. When asked why, I said, "because we both seem to be able to hide how sarcastic, jaded and miserable we are quite well and that makes for entertaining conversation between two people". I had no idea that he was THAT miserable. He will be missed by so many and in so many ways. Very strange how suicide has become "the thing" in recent times.

·
Premium Member
15,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No doubt. It would’ve been such a great experience to have shared a meal and stories with him. He would’ve been at the top of my list too.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Depression is such a scourge...
For those of us who don't suffer from it have no idea who deep the hole goes.
And people never seem to recover fully from it. They are always dealing with it; just the severity wax and wanes.
I always wondered why he worked so much. He seemed to be constantly traveling.
Work is not enough to fill these holes.
RIP Mr Bourdain...

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Sad indeed. Not really surprising, but very sad.

It’s too bad our world can’t find the right way to support those who hurt. Like cats, we all tend to hide our pain, but I think that’s part survival mechanism and part shame that we ourselves are weak.

RIP Monsieur, you will be missed.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
In his programs, he went pretty deep into minority culture in LA.
As deep as 45 min or so will allow on TV and still be entertaining and accessible.
He used food as a gateway into making other cultures relatable.
He was one of the few people on tv who tried to understand other people and their culture.
It's really sad for all of us.

·
3,945 Posts
Anthony was a true food adventurer. I will miss him as will many. I have a fond memory of sitting at Giovanni’s shrimp scampi truck on the North Shore of Oahu. A place I stopped at solely because of Anthony. RIP

·
15,901 Posts
Having experienced this in my own family, I have a different opinion than perhaps most commenting here. I see this act of finality as a coward's way out and a betrayal to any family and friends the person may be leaving behind. Yes, I agree, it is sad that the person is no longer with us. I see it as a quite selfish choice to end your own life when treatment options are available to you to cope with/control/manage whatever problems that exist.

·
7,904 Posts
Having experienced this in my own family, I have a different opinion than perhaps most commenting here. I see this act of finality as a coward's way out and a betrayal to any family and friends the person may be leaving behind. Yes, I agree, it is sad that the person is no longer with us. I see it as a quite selfish choice to end your own life when treatment options are available to you to cope with/control/manage whatever problems that exist.
I would say that you then obviously haven’t suffered from the same affliction yourself.
As those who have are, or at least have been in a different frame of mind.
One which you nor I can fully understand.
I have lost both family and friends in a similar manner and have never thought it selfish, only tragic that I wasn’t able to be there for them.

·
2,853 Posts
I've experienced it in my family also. Unfortunately your opinion belliott, IS the selfish, insensitive, uninformed and naive opinion of many people. You can't get more selfish, insensitive or off track than that. "Why kill yourself, just get some treatment" is a ridiculous thought process when someone has killed themselves. You obviously don't know what it takes to leave family and friends behind. Do you think someone just didn't feel like going to treatment and thought that killing themselves was easier and to hell with their family? It's not that simple and treatment is not an option for everyone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,943 Posts
Having experienced this in my own family, I have a different opinion than perhaps most commenting here. I see this act of finality as a coward's way out and a betrayal to any family and friends the person may be leaving behind.
May you find compassion and peace.

·
12,711 Posts
Real depression is not just being sad or blue. It impacts to the point where there are no questions, no answers...just an all consuming darkness that obscures all hope. It also typically erases connections at the time of action.

Calling it a cowards way out is a complete misunderstanding. It presupposes that problem solving skills are intact. Suicide may seem logical at the time but it is all but rational.

I have a feelig a lot will come out about Bourdain. My gut feeling and sixty percent guess is severe bipolar disorder untreated.
One problem with being a celebrity is that they get away with behaviors others would be called on.
People consider them creative and excentric. So they frequently dont get help.

I dont know if this is the case but i would not be shocked. There are breadcrumbs in that direction.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.