Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new Soprano from Phil about a week ago. I got the straight model, with the vintage gold lacquer finish (absolutely stunning, by the way). In the transaction process, we emailed and talked on the phone about my playing style and what I liked in a soprano piece. He took a good deal of time to make the modifications to the mouthpiece that came with the horn !! All I can say is WOW.

The horn responds incredibly well. No adjustments were needed; it played right out of the box. The horn is Selmer-like in sound, but somewhat richer and warmer and definately more free-blowing. The key layout is kind of unique. It is only vaguely similar to a Selmer. It's kind of a cross between a Selmer and a Yanagisawa, but at the same time, nothing like them. I am sorry for the ambiguity, but that's as close as I can describe it concisely.

The horn has great balance and is sturdy, without being heavy. Usually, it would take me a good month to know a new horn before doing a gig on it. However, I believe that it's gig-ready and I will let all of you know the results of the performance. Peace.

·
Banned
3,043 Posts
Good for you. I have the same horn and it played staright out of the box as well. Much better than any selmer i played. Could you please post some photos of the finish and the serial number when you are ready. Also Phil can you talk about what mods you did to the Vintage HR ?

Also what soprano model where you playing before this and what mouthpiece did you use ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good for you. I have the same horn and it played staright out of the box as well. Much better than any selmer i played. Could you please post some photos of the finish and the serial number when you are ready. Also Phil can you talk about what mods you did to the Vintage HR ?

Also what soprano model where you playing before this and what mouthpiece did you use ?
I will post some pictures when I can (and hopefully soon). Phil did the mods to the mouthpiece, not me. Phil basically made the chamber much larger, which gave it a more robust sound. My old soprano was a 480 series Jean Baptiste (a house brand of Sam Ashe) curved soprano. Very similar to the earlier P. Mauriat. Horn was good. I have had the opportunity to play many sopranos from top of the line, both new and vintage. I can honestly say that this Phil Barone straight is the best soprano I have EVER played. Period !!

·
Registered
565 Posts
I will post some pictures when I can (and hopefully soon). Phil did the mods to the mouthpiece, not me. Phil basically made the chamber much larger, which gave it a more robust sound. My old soprano was a 480 series Jean Baptiste (a house brand of Sam Ashe) curved soprano. Very similar to the earlier P. Mauriat. Horn was good. I have had the opportunity to play many sopranos from top of the line, both new and vintage. I can honestly say that this Phil Barone straight is the best soprano I have EVER played. Period !!
I believe it's similar because they are made in the same factory. I could be wrong though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts