Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
That was painful to read. I think I need to go lie down.

·
Registered
591 Posts
So if I want a complex jazz sound I need to get a silverplated horn and strip it right? I gonna ask my tech about this...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
I love all of the scientific evidence he presents. Very convincing. [rolleyes]
Music isn't a science, it's an art. At least it was before teh innertoobz got hold of it. ;)

I joke, but traditionally, musical knowledge works on the master/apprentice model. You believe cats who have been around because they have been around. Indeed, as long as such a cat is your teacher, you might never come to question hi/r knowledge at all.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I read that article this morning attached to an advertising e-mail from WW&BW. Suffice to say I disagree. DAVE

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Music isn't a science, it's an art. At least it was before teh innertoobz got hold of it. ;)

I joke, but traditionally, musical knowledge works on the master/apprentice model. You believe cats who have been around because they have been around. Indeed, as long as such a cat is your teacher, you might never come to question hi/r knowledge at all.
Right.

If these teachers did any research at all, they would find that Adolphe Sax was very meticulous with the patented invention of the saxophone. It is a machine which took a great deal of science to invent.

Science was & is part of our musical world.

Oh well, I guess we are the lucky ones b/c we know better. :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
I read that article this morning attached to an advertising e-mail from WW&BW. Suffice to say I disagree. DAVE
+2!

Also Greg (in my opinion) is much more a "marketer" than anything else, so you've got to consider the source.

JR

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, maybe I just need better ears to hear the difference.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,970 Posts
Well now I know when someone has a problem with altissimo, I need to check and see if their horn is gold plated...

The author has been on this site. He's a Guardala victim that opened a web page to shed light on the scam(s).

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,479 Posts
I am really surprised that GV would come to that conclusion being the incredible player that he is. I am sooooo glad I got an un-lacquered horn since I play jazz.:twisted:

B

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
Greg's into the cryo stuff, too.

He's definitely not a scientist, and much of his art is faith-based, but is one heck of a player.

If everything we did was based on Master/Apprentice, and if we never questioned the master, there's a lot of technology that wouldn't exist--including saxophones.

It amazes me that even though we play one of the few acoustic instruments that was truly 'invented' rather than 'developed', we constantly want to believe in some sort of mythology.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
I have a mostly unlacquered alto---from me rubbing the lacquer off in the practice room woodshedding. I'm only sorry it didn't make me as good as Greg.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
"I felt like the all silver sax was too bright for me"

Close your eyes then! ;)

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
No scientific evidence here!

However, I have two essentially identical old Conn saxes, one gold plated and the other silver plated, both in fine condition. The silver one is definitely a brighter sounding instrument than the darker sounding gold plated instrument. The silver one is my preference.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Right.

If these teachers did any research at all, they would find that Adolphe Sax was very meticulous with the patented invention of the saxophone. It is a machine which took a great deal of science to invent.

Science was & is part of our musical world.

Oh well, I guess we are the lucky ones b/c we know better. :mrgreen:
I bet his horns don't sound too good. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
681 Posts
No scientific evidence here!

However, I have two essentially identical old Conn saxes, one gold plated and the other silver plated, both in fine condition. The silver one is definitely a brighter sounding instrument than the darker sounding gold plated instrument. The silver one is my preference.
Did you ever switch necks? Are the resonators the same ? Any dents anywhere? Same year serial number?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts