Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a mark VI tenor advertised on the D.C. Craigslist for $2300, so of course, I emailed about it.
Here is the reply:

First of all I want to tell you that I am not selling this saxophone for profit or due a lack of money. All I can say is that some recent events in my life made me change my perception of certain things, things that I’ve considered important in the past. I will donate all money to charity after I sell this saxophone. I am currently on a trip for UNICEF.
The saxophone is in an excellent condition, no dents or scratches. I don’t want to offend you but the saxophone is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing do not reply.
The transaction will be made through eBay company for the safety of both. I’ve already included the saxophone into eBay Purchase Protection, so I will sell only through this.
If you want to buy the saxophone, and you agree with my terms please reply so I can give you a detailed description of the eBay Purchase Protection.
Waiting for your reply.

Thank you,

Stephen

·
Registered
197 Posts
My guess is that you would get a fake invoice from ebay somehow asking you to do something stupid. You think, as clever as they are they would learn to speak/ write English.
The guy that tried to scam my craigslist sale emailed 2 fake paypal notices letting me know he paid $1600 for my $1200 sale, and instructing me to wire $400 to an agent in New York for the shipping company. Then I got a notice from the "shipping company" instructing me to do the same, after which they would arrange for the pickup. The "paypal" notices said my account would not show the deposit until after I wire the money.
The paypal notices looked pretty good, even had a lot of security stuff on them.
I e-mailed him back, suggesting we meet privately... him, me and a few of my buddies!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,956 Posts
Could just ask him to put it on auction with a specific start time...and ask him to send you the item #... so as soon as the auction goes up, you will be there to buy it.

That will pretty much assure you never hear from him again....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My original email inquiry was: Very interested - When can I come take a look at the horn?

If it weren't a scam, then an honest local seller would have responded to my request with a time and place. After all, Craigslist is for LOCAL buyers/seller, right? I'm going to flag the ad for removal...

·
Registered
297 Posts
A Mark VI with no dents or scratches for $2,300 and poor English? You've got to be kidding! This has SCAM written large all over it!!

Remember the old maxim, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts