Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of "G" Selmer metal mouthpiece for soprano.
The Selmer ligature makes me some problems holding the reed evenly.
Any advice for a more modern one?
Thanks in advance,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
726 Posts
I use a Rovner sometimes, but as Mike said I always return to the Selmer too.
If the ligature is streched, you can sand the flat part where the screws pass trough(which contact and press the other part where the screw fits on) to make a gap between both pressed parts and the ligature will adjust again, there is enough material to do it. Of course you need a minimum of hand abilities to do that, but if you can´t do it, your tech for sure can do it very easily.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wanted to resurrect this thread because I'm in the same boat as all of you. I have an old metal selmer soprano mouthpiece (c* that was refaced to around an e). I currently use the original lig, which doesn't really hold the reed evenly or straight. But I've tried 3 or 4 different rovners and they all killed the tone. Has anybody found any other options that work?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
726 Posts
Have you tried to reverse the screw? I noticed it works far better with the screw holding the reed instead on top of the piece. I am using now my Rovner this way on my nino, and works great .
Also I have fixed my Selmer ligature cutting the metal between the gap as I explained on post #3, holding the reed as a new one.

·
Registered
653 Posts
HI, I had a metal selmer soprano mp. And the winslow lig. really held the reed and hardly ever slipped like the FL lig. does. And a lot more reeds played better also. The rovner versa could be a good option also. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts