Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into town yesterday to pick up a better mouthpiece for my cheap tenor sax, and happened to see an old sax in the window of our local antique/junk shop. So I had a good look at it and bought it. It has certainly seen better days but somebody must have loved it once as it looks to have been well played.

It has an engraved bell with 'Super Dearman' engraved inside the design. Underneath this is the word 'Milan', so I assume it was made in Italy, but by whom I don't know. The serial No. is 2869 and is stamped at the rear of the bow. The serial No. is also stamped underneath the G# key. (I removed the left pinky cluster to straighten it out)
The laqueur is pretty worn giving it an aged appearance which I do like. It has a small dent in the bottom of the bow, and the lower Eb key is broken off where it joins the hinge tube. It does not have the nailfile G# key, just plain smooth brass.
The case is an old tan suitcase type, with a maroon velvety lining. Just like you may have seen in the old films of the 40's. It appears to be the original case, but has no manufacturers markings.

Anyway, apart from needing a bit of minor fixing, regulating and tender loving care, it does not seem too bad. I had to fix a few leaks and sticky pads, and give it a bit of oil in order to get a few notes out of it, but I am sure it will play.

If serial numbers are anything to go by, this could be an early model.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,565 Posts
its either an Orsi (which was in Milan) or a Rampone& Cazzani or made at home by the workers of several factories of Quarna Sotto

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Milandro, I have read all the other threads in this section and searched the web for further info but can find very little. I have not as yet seen a Super Dearman like mine. I will have to contact R&C and see if they can shed some light on its origins. I'll post some pics soon so that you can compare with the others on here. My sax is an alto, and the others all seem to be tenors. I'm thinking that it may be older than the others I have seen.
You wouldn't happen to have the contact details for R&C by any chance?

·
39,565 Posts
:) sure! rampone & Cazzani [email protected] , address Claudio Zolla. I would love to see the pics!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I took some pics so you can all have a look. I forgot to mention that the mpc is some sort of white plastic. It has a groove in the top probably from years of teeth biting it. It is also cracked.

Just need to find out to link to flikr.

·
39,565 Posts
nice pictures, shame about the C key.

I would say this is an Orsi from perhaps the late '40 or early '50 (although there are the usual north Italian stencil inconsistencies which also might lead to say it has been put together by people working on a small scale at home using parts from different factories , as it as been said before) based on the left pink table and the fact that the serial number is stamped vertically (but lacks the letters which indicates either an early-ish Orsi construction or it coming form another source).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you saying that R&C have letters and numbers in the serial, or that they stamp them horizontally?
I will contact R&C for clarification and do a search on Orsi as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
It's completely different from the Dearman I have - but on the off chance I thought I'd check to see if the low C keys were similar...but I can't say if they are as my horn doesn't have one.
Might be around here somewhere though...

Regards,

·
39,565 Posts
no, I a saying that normally Orsi has a vertically stamped SN which includes numbers and one letter , R&C has horizontal (If I remember right) stamped numbers only

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, I got a reply to the email I sent to R&C.

quote"
Dear ALLAN, we are sorry but we cannot provide very helpful info by looking at your pictures. Few pieces remind us to R&C parts others not so ??? we should check the horn in person.
REGARDS RAMPONE & CAZZANI "

Looks like I will have to keep looking, but with web searches for 'Super Dearman' alto saxophones yielding nothing, it might be hard going. All references so far point to 'New Super Dearman' or tenor saxophones. Maybe I have the only one left.
There are some very similar sax's out there but none the same or as old it seems.

·
39,565 Posts
don't worry, yours is surely not the last but you may never know who made it. Try Orsi, they still in sort of business but they are terrible to talk to since the don't answer emails

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
246 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes its very much like that one, except that its an alto and there are no markings anywhere to be seen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts