38,837 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,837 Posts
most older saxophones had one

·
38,837 Posts
well, someone I know says that when you are selling something unique you only need to find the one person that wants it. In other words there is not a fixed price for an object that isn't seen often on the market and there is no telling how much a collector might ( the price is pure speculative) pay for something like this

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think he/she'd ever get near the starting price, but it hardly 'screams stay away'.

It's likely a European made stencil, I agree not quite as old as the 30's. More often than not...good players and this one is kinda cool lookin'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Hey, I have a French 'Vibrator' tenor reed that plays well... About a 2 1/2 or 3 hardness... I will sell it for $137.00 + shipping...

·
38,837 Posts
I don't think he/she'd ever get near the starting price, but it hardly 'screams stay away'.

It's likely a European made stencil, I agree not quite as old as the 30's. More often than not...good players and this one is kinda cool lookin'.
Have you looked at the pics of the Rampone baritone owned by Pete Thomas? (I have found other times early Rampone and Cazzani horns with that type of brace). Rampone made for a long time old fashioned horns and might have been producing this horn much later than the '30 but using some older parts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
my guess... 1950's french made... the case is in way to good shape to be a 30's era sax

·
38,837 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
this is a much older rampone and cazzani stencil(?) with the same brace
I do love those photos of old saxes. My wife and I and are going to have to get out your way one of these days.

nice old furniture to perch it against as well.

·
38,837 Posts
not mine....... :) I have somewhat space age '60 furniture

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys both just hit on my two likely guesses.

Milandro, I know I have seen these on Italians before, so thanks for your references. I am asking the seller for a pic of the pinky table...because while the brace definitely is the same as the Rampone...the keyguards and feet look French to me.....

·
38,837 Posts
oh yes, but we have assessed many times before that there was something going on between the folks in Quarna sotto and Mantes

·
38,837 Posts
the Jeans? :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts