Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time I'm looking for a comtemporary sounding alto mouthpiece for my Buescher 140 alto. Yesterday I was recording in a studio and I had to play a pop solo on tenor. My current setup on tenor produces this kind of commercial sound but on alto my HR Meyer doesn't have that bright, cutting and edgy sound.

Many years ago I was playing a YAS-32 with a Dukoff and that combo had _the_ sound. So a Dukoff would be a cheap alternative, but I don't like the silverite material due to it's softness. I'm thinking of going to metal. I've tried Vandoren Jumbo Javas but they didn't work for me. So what options there are? Beechler? How about other brands that produce metal alto mouthpieces like Lebayle, Brancher? I don't want to break the bank (so don't recommend me a JodyJazz DV :D )

Thanks!
-TH

·
Registered
955 Posts
-TH said:
I don't want to break the bank (so don't recommend me a JodyJazz DV :D )

Thanks!
-TH
And I was just going to recommend that particular piece, based on the findings of a friend of mine that recently purchased a DV. He's constantly changing mouthpieces, and he's finally locked onto one of these, and just told me that it recorded GREAT at a recent session. He recently bought a Keilwerth Shadow, and has really had an issue matching a piece to it, until he tried the DV.
Dukoffs are great for that contemporary sound, but they really take a lot of work to maintain a good sound that isn't "thin". So if Alto isn't your main horn, and you don't work it constantly, it can be hard to maintain a good sound out of a Dukoff for a lot of people. If you do go the Dukoff route.. you might want to check out an M-model instead of a D.. Its a slightly darker/fatter sound, that I think eliminates some of the inherent "shrill" in the D models.
Beechlers are kind of the same, but I think they are more "thin" sounding than Dukoffs.

So.. if you want a metal piece... how about a Barone Contemporary, which I think you can find for a lot less money than a DV.
or how about an older Berg?
I haven't heard much about the LeBayle pieces, but I have been very curious about them myself... so I'd love to hear if anyone knows anything about these...

·
Registered
730 Posts
What about Runyons? I have a Bionix 9 I've been trying to sell which has a really small chamber similar to a Dukoff.. but I don't think this is what you want. Maybe a XL with the spoiler?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,118 Posts
Also primarily a tenor player; find metal alto pieces too "small"; a cheap older rubber Lakey 7*3 works for me, although it can be tiring and difficult to control...

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
To me the small chamber pieces such as Lakey and Bionix sound different from the high baffle pieces like the Dukofff. Too bad the Jumbo Java didn't work. Maybe a Berg such as 90/1 or 90/0. The Runyon XL, Quantum or Spoiler would be worth a shot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
If you want some cut, maybe a Brilhart Level Air. One of the loudest, edgeiest pieces I've ever played and there seems to be a fair number of them around. The beak is VERY small in your mouth.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I was using a Jody Jazz HR 6M this summer for some pop work I was doing - more in the vein of Spyro Gyro or Kenny G (on alto) - and it worked really well. It still had body to it, but gave a nice bright, yet warm edge to it. And it's priced very moderately - probably a little low, actually.

I've also had luck with a Ponzol M1 which is a bit brighter than the JJ but nothing like a Dukoff. I think the Ponzol keeps some body to the sound that other brighter mpcs lose.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
My guess is that Saintsday means the vintage Levelaire made by Brilhart, not the newer ones made by Runyon.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
MM said:
My guess is that Saintsday means the vintage Levelaire made by Brilhart, not the newer ones made by Runyon.
Right. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
183 Posts
-TH said:
This time I'm looking for a comtemporary sounding alto mouthpiece for my Buescher 140 alto. Yesterday I was recording in a studio and I had to play a pop solo on tenor. My current setup on tenor produces this kind of commercial sound but on alto my HR Meyer doesn't have that bright, cutting and edgy sound.

How about other brands that produce metal alto mouthpieces like Lebayle, Brancher? I don't want to break the bank (so don't recommend me a JodyJazz DV :D )

Thanks!
-TH
A Lamberson 7M does great on my Big B alto and it can be very bright and cutting if I want it to, more than I was able to get with a Lawton (medium chamber) I once tried.
Not sure if it will be breaking the bank... I got myself a second one a few days ago for 275 dollars (as a back-up for the one I already have) .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts