Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people, I have a woe that I must communicate. I'm in high school band, marching, and jazz bands. I play tenor 1 and soprano in jazz 1, tenor in marching, and bari in jazz 2. I've really been needing to practice, but there is a problem...

I need to take a saxophone home on my crowded bus where there is 3 to a seat. I can't take home my instruments and I feel like I'll get worse if I don't practice.

I need someone to recommend a Selmer (preferably vintage) that would be relatively inexpensive yet would work, at least as a back up horn. Something that could match my VII in terms of power would be great. thanks-

-Chris

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
.....I need someone to recommend a Selmer (preferably vintage) that would be relatively inexpensive yet would work, at least as a back up horn. Something that could match my VII in terms of power would be great.......
Another VII? They must be the cheapest out there (because of undeserved bad press) so hunt down one and buy it. Can't go wrong.

Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
Apart from Milandro's suggestion, the only oter vintage tenors that are relatively inexpensive these days would be anything pre balanced Action, but even the Cigar Cutters and Radio Improved are quite pricey now. The least expensive are probably the Modele22 and 26, fine horns but not what I would call powerful.

Doesn't the bus have luggage racks or a compartment for luggage?

Registered
American School buses typically don't have racks like tour buses do.

Sorry, but I just have to ask- why does your backup/convenience horn have to be a Selmer? I own a couple Selmers, including a Mk VII, and they're nice horns, to be sure. A lot of gigs and memories there.

However, I was very surprised at the build and tone quality of saxes made in Taiwan (Cannonball and Phil Barone), and I now own some of them too. In fact, they basically supplanted my Selmers as my go-to horns for gigs, because they play so well. You could get a used Cannonball Global Series tenor in real nice shape for $1200, and a more recent "vintage" or "stone series" model for $1300 or $1400.*

For that matter, why not just get a used student model Yamaha, Vito, or Bundy restored to good condition? Is having the action and tone of a professional model for a BACKUP/practice horn worth the extra hundreds, if not thousands?

*Yes, yes, I know my suggestion will irritate some, but I'm sorry, it just seems like this young person should know there's more to saxophone-dom than Selmer, especially for the purposes of this particular application and desire for low cost

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But you could ask Otto (nicely) to look after it. I mean, what does Lisa do?

Ha! That one really cracked me up! But seriously, the bus does have a storage compartment on the very side, but students are not allowed access. That rule seemed to come about when 4 tuba players on the same bus filled the compartment about 4 years ago...

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Sorry, but I just have to ask- why does your backup/convenience horn have to be a Selmer?
"Mom, Dad... I need another saxophone and all the real musicians at SotW say that I should get another Selmer."

Distinguished SOTW Member
Hey people, I have a woe that I must communicate. I'm in high school band, marching, and jazz bands. I play tenor 1 and soprano in jazz 1, tenor in marching, and bari in jazz 2. I've really been needing to practice, but there is a problem...

I need to take a saxophone home on my crowded bus where there is 3 to a seat. I can't take home my instruments and I feel like I'll get worse if I don't practice.

I need someone to recommend a Selmer (preferably vintage) that would be relatively inexpensive yet would work, at least as a back up horn. Something that could match my VII in terms of power would be great. thanks-

-Chris
French Vito! It replaced my VII Alto, and I only sold the French Vito Tenor I had cause it was too centered for me (it's like a VII, w/the ergos of a VI or SBA, and a tone similar to a VII mated with and SBA) . And, the most a mint condition Model 38 Beaugnier Vito will go for is $1300!

Distinguished SOTW Member
I have a better idea. Keep your Selmer at home safe and buy a used YAS-23 for school.

I recall a very recent post from a person in marching band that had their horn stepped on....

..........I need someone to recommend a Selmer (preferably vintage) that would be relatively inexpensive yet would work, at least as a back up horn. Something that could match my VII in terms of power would be great............
Unless the OP is using the word " Selmer" as a synonym for " saxophone " he wants another Selmer. My guess is that he is probably aware that there are other brands out there (but for whatever reason that is what he wants)

In my experience you can find a second hand VII (not easy but possible) in need of a little work (and sometimes just a repad) for the price of a new Yamaha 275 and certainly less than a middle of the road medium price horn. So, if that is what one wants it can be acquired at a very reasonable price. You can, of course, buy all manners of cheaper horns (or more expensive ones for that matter) but if the OP is happy with his VII's and needs (for whatever reason, possibly he knows his onions better than we do) a back up horn by this brand (because he likes it and he's used to it) he could indeed spend his money wisely and buy one if that is what he wants for reasons that we might think are right or wrong but that are his reasons.

Registered
I have a better idea. Keep your Selmer at home safe and buy a used YAS-23 for school.

I recall a very recent post from a person in marching band that had their horn stepped on....
Yes, good advice!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts