Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a pic of me playing with my friend Molly-- the third friend of mine I gigged with regularly to die of cancer in the past year or so. A great local jazz singer. A reminder to treasure your time playing music with your friends.

View attachment 241752

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Cancer is awful, and most of us have been affected by it in some form. Condolences in your time of grief.

- Saxaholic

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
I’m sorry to hear this...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Hope that you’re holding up well in the face of these horrible events, Sonja. It must hurt so badly, so sorry to hear about all of this.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Cancer is a bitch. It is the devil. It took my mom when I was a sixteen year old kid. Ruined what could have been the best time of my life. It put a shadow over everything that followed. It has taken so many dear friends I don't want to count them all. I pray some day we find a cure for it. Sorry for your loss. Not much more to say.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
I just learned on back-to-school night that my son’s band teacher has breast cancer. Argghh...

Both my parents died from cancer - pancreatic for my father (misdiagnosed for years until he died), and breast cancer for my mother (in remission until reignited by the stress of caring for my father).

Cancer sucks.

Compassion to all whom are affected by this disease - all of us probably know someone who is touched by it.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
I lost my guitar player friend five years ago to cancer. He was only 56. Never smoked but drank a lot of Wild Turkey 101.
For my own selfish reasons I wish he hadn’t left us. He was the only guy in town who knew all the tunes and had a great repertoire.
Here he is with my other friend and hometown hero, jimmy Raney;
https://youtu.be/8tB-WaqelUw

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,384 Posts
Its hard to lose musician friends you have gigged with. I see a pic of the original Jami Jamison band I joined 19 years ago. The bass, Drummer and Harp player now all dead K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,121 Posts
Everybody "hates" cancer. The disease is not one but many and we will never be without, because the mechanisms by which our cells grow and divide are not perfect. However, if you you think prospects of battling numerous forms of cancer aren't improving, then you are wrong. There is massive progress, but this isn't like putting a man on the moon, it is way more complicated, and resources are scarce when considering the scale of the problem. The US spends infinitely more on military than combating diseases that are not if, maybe, or perhaps in life but virtually guaranteed to afflict many if not most. I am not saying that anyone intends for it to be this way, but that is the bottom line. You cannot spend the same monies twice. Likewise, numerous corporations, financial institutions, even major sports teams etc. have budgets that way exceed what universities and research institutions, large or small, could ever dream of spending on their research. Basic science is really expensive and funded by measures such as taxes that everyone hates to pay or donations that people don't want to make, at least not unless they are tax-deductible and only a small fragment of their wealth. Most science is actually done on the very cheap when it comes to salaries. It is sort of taken for granted that people who work in labs, will work for a small fraction of what others with similar or less education and training, and mostly they do - go figure.

Humans are just put together in a way where, in day-to-day life, the notion is that it will happen to someone else, or someone else's loved ones, or at least not anytime soon. Only when people reach the end of the line or their loved ones do, does it seem to really matter. In a way, this makes completely sense, because life would be awful if all we thought about was when and how it was going to end. On the other hand, it might be good to spend some of your money on an "insurance policy" and proportionately to the scale of the possible disaster. Obviously, even for those who want to, this is not easy, because the transparency for where the money goes, is largely missing. Humans themselves do an awful lot to make progress on battling cancer slower, much slower than it could be. This too seems to be human nature.

I am sorry for everyone's losses. I have had them too personally and seen what they can inflict on others. It is like the Rutger Hauer character in Blade Runner: "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,990 Posts
Sorry, Sonja....stay strong and try to embrace the beauty of your connection with your friend, even in this difficult time.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.
My Daddy was diagnosed with cancer and I became his full-time caregiver for over a year. I fed him, changed his diapers, took him to daily radiation treatment, performed daily wound care on the sites, read to him, sang to him, and told him that I loved him every day. He recently passed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
2,377 Posts
I am sorry for all of you. I too hate cancer. It has taken many members of my family. I hate alzheimer's as well it has taken many members of my family including my father. My mother is currently in a specialty care unit after suffering a stroke as a result of a heart valve replacement procedure they said would improve her quality of life, it didn't. Sometimes life sucks. It seems like the older you get the more it sucks as you have to watch the people you love endure pain and suffering on their way out. I try to stay as positive as I can and celebrate who these people were with thoughts of happy times we spent together.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss.
My Daddy was diagnosed with cancer and I became his full-time caregiver for over a year. I fed him, changed his diapers, took him to daily radiation treatment, performed daily wound care on the sites, read to him, sang to him, and told him that I loved him every day. He recently passed.
I’m happy I was close to my mom in her last years after being away for a long time. My dad been gone for years so I missed out on that.
Hopefully, my son will be around for me. i guess I better be nice to him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My heart goes out to you Sonja.
Here in Hawaii we have a band called the Monday Night Big Band that has been together for over 30 years. Our humble leader just died of bone cancer. He was such a humble person and talented sax man that he could have been a pro but was a civil engineer instead. Many times we had to coax him to take solos cause he was always trying to pass them off to other players but boy ,when he did take one you would have thought it was Charlie Parker reincarnated. He had a book with 400 charts and the last few years he would bring new charts every Monday that he would spend hours taping together.
He was too young to go (about 56).All of us have felt this loss.
Yea, cancer sucks

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I appreciate everyone's stories and support :love2:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts