Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is becoming my favorite RR tune .... an incredible tune ... and the dancing in the vid is out of sight ! .... plus .... the definition of 'booting' ....
The session ....

Williams recorded the song at Master Recorders, Hollywood, California, on September 11, 1957.[3] Music journalist Gene Sculatti describes the instrumentation provided by the back-up musicians as "unstoppable, nongimmicky, almost careening out of control with its pounding piano and booting sax, 'Slow Down' is arguably Williams's hippest track".[3] The personnel includes:

Larry Williams – vocal, piano
Jewell Grant – baritone sax
Plas Johnson – tenor sax
René Hall – guitar
Ted Brinson – bass
Earl Palmer – drums

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Oh man, I love that version too. I always thought the Beatles' version was lame after hearing this one but most Beatles' fans didn't even know it existed. Listen to his solos on most of the other Larry Williams stuff too, like 'Bony Marony'. Also the Routers' 'Let's Go!'.

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
The original and the cover the Beatles did, I thought were both fantastic.
I certainly wouldn’t call the Beatles version lame by any means.
I am a huge Beatles fan and their version brings much joy to me over here.

To each his own....

Plas is always fun to listen to!
(Just my opinion). Lol

·
7,409 Posts
That's exactly right - to each his own.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Oh man, I love that version too. I always thought the Beatles' version was lame after hearing this one but most Beatles' fans didn't even know it existed. Listen to his solos on most of the other Larry Williams stuff too, like 'Bony Marony'. Also the Routers' 'Let's Go!'.
I never heard this one - I like that the bass is holding it down instead of following the riff.

·
7,409 Posts
The guy was absolutely one of a kind - nobody will ever get that sound or have that style again. I guess everybody knows he used a 160/0 Berg with a Plasticover baritone reed, #1 1/2. He also put Vaseline on the table before mounting the reed. Unknown if this was for sealing or corrosion protection because he had so many sessions that the reed might stay mounted for days. Probably a little of both. I've never tried that myself but I might just to see if the reeds play better.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,771 Posts
One roof raising kickin' 45. Funny how I can still see my friends on the gym floor dancing to it back in the day when the jukebox was cranked up! Thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
170 Posts
That is some mighty Plas Johnson, to be sure. I feel sorry for the kids of today who have to grow up listening to today's schlock. This was considered schlock too when I was a kid, but that's some swinging schlock Daddy-O.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
Yeah, great version! Anything with Plas Johnson would be. We cover this tune in my band and it definitely fills the dance floor. Lots of fun to solo on with the sax.

There's also a pretty good version by Paul Butterfield, David Sanborn, Dr John, etc. It's a pretty loose jam, but still has the right feel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4GNci5koi8

·
SOTW Administrator
26,205 Posts
Yeah, great version! Anything with Plas Johnson would be. We cover this tune in my band and it definitely fills the dance floor. Lots of fun to solo on with the sax.

There's also a pretty good version by Paul Butterfield, David Sanborn, Dr John, etc. It's a pretty loose jam, but still has the right feel:

This is also a really good example of how a harp player and sax can stay out of each other's way.

BTW, Plas Johnson is still alive...

·
Registered
3,800 Posts

What key does your band do it in, JL?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
What key does your band do it in, JL?
Key of C (concert).

It's a 24 bar blues, so most any key would be ok; it really depends on what key the singer likes.

·
SOTW Columnist/ Forum Contributor 2014, Disti
2,771 Posts
Earl Palmer was one strong kickin' drummer! And his work on Little Richard's early hits was the same. Just driving and pushing the band. Listen to his snare! :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts