Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across another Chinese alto flute being sold on email. This one is directly from a seller in Bejing. I wrote and asked about the flute and the company. The reply was the company name is Aibosi. Anyone know about this company and the quality of the instruments?

Thanks, Roger

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,335 Posts
I've never heard of this one, but you should be aware that often a seller will have contracts with a number of different factories, and the quality (and even design) of different exemplars with the same brand name can vary wildly.

Toby

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
My experience has been that the altos from asia are all about the same. Figure about $100 to get it set up but it can still be a deal if you can get it in the $500 range. Remember anything that resembles an alto flute will sell on ebay.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
The most recent ones I sell are marked Lalo. The finish work is a bit below par and the high notes like G3 tend to go sharp but then again most altos under $5K are not that great in the intonation department.

·
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unexpected turn of events....

I was looking at the company's web site and the flute again on ebay. I realized from its pictures that it is a bass flute rather than an alto...as it is listed on ebay. Long story short, I contacted the company, confirmed that it is a bass, and I was given a price that is incredibly low. So, I ordered one directly from the company.

I realize that this is going to be a roll of the dice. I have no idea what it's level of quality and playability will be. And, I have no idea how it will work for me physically. But, with this low price I can take a chance. I also figure that my flute tech (Jessi at Chuck Levin's) can make just about anything playable.

I'll let you know how it works out.

PS, I also learned that the flutes made by this company are sold under various names. But, they did not tell me the names.

Roger

·
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The flute arrived. It's engraved brand name is Boule and says made in Hong Kong. This is confusing to me as I understood the instrument company is in Beijing.

Sadly, the flute is not a bass. Rather, it's a soprano with straight and curved head joints. The flute needs some adjustments; however, even in it's present condition it plays not badly at all. It has a decent quality of sound. Once it's set up it should be okay. It's my impression that it may be along the lines of a Yamaha nickle plated student flute.

Since I don't need another soprano flute I'll sell it for the price I paid for it -- $180 -- plus whatever the shipping cost is. This could be a good way to get a new student-level flute for a very cheap price. If interested, please contact me via a private message on the forum.

Thanks, Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts