Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So they assemble them to order? Do you pay the full price up front, or a deposit and then a final amount when it's ready to ship?
So far it seems like they do assemble to order. I did pay full price + shipping up front. There is Alibaba trade assurance and a contract with them, so if they fail to ship the item I get a refund, etc etc. So I have not had anything to really sweat about thus far.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,583 Posts
I did order one of these saxophones. The company is Binzhou Xingyue.
They aren't on my radar of Chinese factories/agents but that means nothing. If what you get is what we think one of the two Chinese basses and is the Selmer type, than at least I'd say you are in with the best chance of it being decent.

Anything you save over the added cost of an EU or US importer doing QC could either be a bonus or (more likely) to be put into a local tech doing some bringing up to par. That means you need to find one who will actually do the work, ie they don't have a prejudice against something purely because it was made in China hence refuse to work on it! (WE all know there is a ;lot of crap but there is also some good stuff at good prices)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bought a Soprano from AliExpress, it's yet to arrive. Perhaps I'll post to this thread when it does.
By the way, OEM isn't a brand, it stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, meaning it's made for other companies to put their brand names on. Alibaba and AliExpress are different to eBay etc in that respect, you can deal directly with the manufacturer rather than a wholesaler or retailer.
I'm worried about the quality, that's why I bought my Tenor from within Australia, but it's still a Chinese sax, it just carries the brand name Sterling. I really had little option but to buy online, so I had to take a chance one way or the other, let's see how we go! 🙂

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,337 Posts
They aren't on my radar of Chinese factories/agents but that means nothing. If what you get is what we think one of the two Chinese basses and is the Selmer type, than at least I'd say you are in with the best chance of it being decent.

Anything you save over the added cost of an EU or US importer doing QC could either be a bonus or (more likely) to be put into a local tech doing some bringing up to par. That means you need to find one who will actually do the work, ie they don't have a prejudice against something purely because it was made in China hence refuse to work on it! (WE all know there is a ;lot of crap but there is also some good stuff at good prices)

I have to say that it is difficult to beat Sax.co.uk price when you add any shipping (I have been quoted some pretty hefty amounts!) , VAT , Handling fees and so on

At least if one is in the UK (I am not sure how it would be priced importing from the UK into EU after Brexit), that is one powerful argument to buy there

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,583 Posts
At least if one is in the UK (I am not sure how it would be priced importing from the UK into EU after Brexit), that is one powerful argument to buy there
This is not clear to me either. Aat least the other way round, EU to UK, the seller can make arrnagements to prepay the VAT and even possible duty (obvious that is passed on asa charge to the cusomer)

The rule is VAT must be added at source under £135 (?) and optionly can be added at source over £135. SYOS do this. They needn't charge VAT on mouthpieces (over £135) but if they do it saves the customer paying VAT + handling at import. I think there may also be amn arrangement wherby they can also charge any duty because they say that UK customers will need to pay anything extra on import.

I would thenk maybe there is something reciprocal, but I'm not sure. (I'll ask them about this)

·
40,337 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I also wanted to add a random fun note that when deciding to buy from here I was very curious about how similar it was to Jinbao basses, and corresponding ones such as Sakkusu (Sax.co.uk), Rosedale, Levante, etc. The designs obviously look nearly the same, and I also noticed the packaging is also very similar. Not sure if there is a Bass Sax industry standard but I did look at things such as this video below, and the photos they sent me of what the box will look like. When people say there are limited factories that produce these Basses out of China I absolutely agree. I did have another photo but I can't seem to find it now.

·
40,337 Posts
years ago there were only two sources for basses in China , one made a Conn replica and the other made a Selmer replica.

Now things may be different. I don’t know.

The great majority of companies advertising on platforms accessible to western buyers are trading companies that buy from the makers (few and centralized very large industries in general) and then re sell.

Reactions: BigSaxCo1

·
Registered
157 Posts
My soprano from AliExpress came today, so far it seems like everything works properly. I'd love to get it checked by a professional, but I think that would mean a 600km round trip to the city, so it'll have to wait.

I first ordered a soprano on the 12th February, so I'm just happy to finally get started

·
Registered
56 Posts
So I DID buy a Sakkusu from sax.co.uk. Looks like the same Bass as Levante, Wessex or International Woodwinds. Even with import duties, I came out cheaper than the Levante. I found an old Selmer S80 E facing mouthpiece and that thing works like a charm on this bass (short wrap Selmer Copy). I've done a few virtual recordings with it...and am currently using it in a Saxophone Quintet. It plays in tune. No low A, of course, but it does have the high F#. While the 4th line D and top space Eb don't speak 100% of the time, I typically don't have to use the Palm D to make them speak, I'm just getting used to playing the thing with others still. This sax was checked over and set up by sax.co.uk before it got to me...and even shipping across the Atlantic, I only had to have one thing adjusted. It played right out of the box except for the 1 & 1 Bb. Had that upper stack adjusted slightly..and even my repair tech (a Yani player) said you have a GOOD bass there. The entire shop was pleasantly surprised with this one. I've seen his video on the Levante Bass...and the adjustments he made. My only "issue" right now is the thumb plate with the octave key. Need to have something done (raise the thumb rest or lower the octave key)...but that is my only issue at present. I really have no regrets on getting this Bass. I've played a newer Keilwerth Bass and an old Pan American Bass. This Sakkusu blows them both out of the water. I'm perfectly happy with this one...6 months. Will my opinion change over time?? Possibly....but for the money, I'm blown away with the quality.

Reactions: Dave Dunn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,705 Posts
Someone had written here a few months ago that a bass sax only goes two whole steps lower than a low A baritone sax. Quite a premium to pay for only four notes, and made me more desire a modern bari than a bass. I suppose the bass sax being in Bb might be more of an appeal to some, in comparison with a bari. Not me. I've crossed one off my bucket list.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Someone had written here a few months ago that a bass sax only goes two whole steps lower than a low A baritone sax. Quite a premium to pay for only four notes, and made me more desire a modern bari than a bass. I suppose the bass sax being in Bb might be more of an appeal to some, in comparison with a bari. Not me. I've crossed one off my bucket list.
It's not just about how low you can play. There is a sound and a presence to the bass saxophone that is different than a baritone. LIsten to Adrian Rollini on the old Bix recordings or Harry Gold in more recent records to get a feel - a lot of those notes could have been played on baritone perfectly well, but it wouldn't sound the same.

I won't dispute that baritone is more useful - it's my main saxophone for the last 35 years or so - but bass reallly does add something that bari doesn't have.

It's also expensive, heavy, and you probably end up transposing all your music because very little is written for it.

·
40,337 Posts
I think a bass is a different horn for timbre, although different again, the same range difference between a baritone and bass is not different between alt and tenor and the twain ain’t the SAIM ;)

Reactions: John_Dikeman

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,705 Posts
... the same range difference between a baritone and bass is not different between alt and tenor and the twain ain’t the SAIM ;)
Only if you have a low A alto. But either way, you can buy an alto and a tenor for the difference in price range for a low A bari and a suitable bass sax... and maybe a soprano too.

·
40,337 Posts
very true

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,831 Posts
Baritones are much more versatile than basses, and easier to handle for sure. But bass saxes are for the sound, not the 4 extra notes. That's why I prefer old Conns and Bueschers, or Keilwerth & Eppelsheim over Selmer style basses. The new Selmer basses play great and are mouthpiece friendly, but they sound too much like a baritone. If the Selmer sound is OK for you, I'd say go for a good baritone.

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I can't speak to a Selmer bass, but my Vito (Beaugnier) short wrap bass does NOT sound like a baritone sax! I went for the short wrap horn for two main reasons:

1) More practical in managing it (case fits in my car; easier to wrangle on stage, etc.)
2) Keyed to high F. I know in theory the "money register" is down low, but I expected to, and do, solo a lot on the bass, and the tone up high is beautiful.

I'm unlikely ever to have the budget for a new Keilwerth or Eppelsheim, so if I were to opt for long wrap basses it would be Conn or Buescher, and I'm unlikely ever to have the budget for the vanishingly rare Conn 14M keyed to high F.

Seriously, even the short wrap horn with a Selmer S-80 C* mouthpiece (which is a round chamber, unlike the other S-80 pieces), has a timbre and presence that a baritone does not, far more than just the extra 5 notes. And I'm primarily a baritone player.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
They requested another 15 day extension. As I am in no rush I have no reason to not grant it. I have a feeling they're either busy or really underestimated the time it would take to produce, or a combination of both. Hoping this is the last time! Will update later.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Alright so after some delays it seems to be almost ready to head out to me. I got some photos of the finished product as well. Wanted to share (you can see my wonderful nerd custom logo on it).

So I also did ask for a video. We'll see if I get it. Hope I do before it heads out. I'll also update info on shipping if I learn more soon.

·
40,337 Posts
very nice, what is the video that you requested? one about playing?

21 - 40 of 51 Posts