Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I bought a Yamaha YAS280 this week (I love it) and want to know where the F Sharp key is. Can someone please be kind enough to let me know? Also is there a sharp key on the Sax that means all the keys can be played as sharp?

Thanks guys appreciate your help

Happy Saxing

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Each note has it's own sharp or flat position (not one key that sharps or flats all the notes). You should do some searching on the internet for saxophone fingering charts. Study those for a few minutes and it should clear up a lot of questions. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
If this is your first sax, frankly, I wouldn't worry about it!
Rest assured it's there (under your right hand middle finger)- you weren't ripped off! - but you need to be getting a good sound out of the upper D...F keys to make use of it, that'll take a little time and once you have those sorted, the F# is quite obvious.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just to confuse you, there are 3 keys on the saxophone that could be called "the F-sharp key". When you are starting out, only one of them really matters - the one you press with the middle finger of the right hand.
Ignore the other two for now.

F is Left Hand 1 2 3, Right Hand 1
F# is LH 1 2 3, RH 2

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
588 Posts
Are you planning to learn to play the sax on your own?
Not a good idea.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Answer is: while playing F, lift you index finger on the right hand and press the middle finger key instead. There is no global sharp key on saxes.

But seriously, get a teacher!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. It's quite refreshing to see a healthy saxophone community. My first lesson is booked with a teacher this week but wanted to know few things before I got there (impatient/excited). I just watched some vid's on youtube and noticed the F sharp key is a combination of holding B,A,G and E? However, I think I got confused with F sharp and high F sharp? The spatula key as mentioned by Brue Baily. Anyhow, thanks for all the replies

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to confuse you, there are 3 keys on the saxophone that could be called "the F-sharp key". When you are starting out, only one of them really matters - the one you press with the middle finger of the right hand.
Ignore the other two for now.

F is Left Hand 1 2 3, Right Hand 1
F# is LH 1 2 3, RH 2
thanks a lot Nigel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts