Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an incredible tenor tone on the the album "Men and woman dancing".

Does anybody know his tenor setup?

Marc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,636 Posts
A metal Berg 110/2 SMS and a Selmer MkVI? I found that info in a previous thread about Andy.

Cheers
-TH

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The album actually is called "Dancing Man & Woman", another similar album by Andy is "Learning to Wave". Your right Andy's tone on Tenor and Sop is enviable - if only...........

I thought I read on this forum somewhere that he used to use a Berg, but I'm not sure if he has changed or not.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Andy Sheppards tone is just fantastic on tenor and soprano. One of my favourite albums of his is "Songs with Legs" with Carla Bley.

I read somewhere he uses a guardala studio on tenor

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,089 Posts
Saxophone Journal Vol 17 #4 of Jan/Feb 1993 had an interview with Andy Shepperd. At that time he was playing MkVI tenor and soprano and Berg Larsen on tenor but Bari on soprano.

I also love Andy's tone and his playing. The trio album with Carla Bley "Songs with Legs" is one of my favourites, especially the track "The Lord is Listenin' to Ya, Hallelujah!". I like it so much, I had Curtis Swift http://www.saxsolos.com/ do a full trasncription of Andy's solo and then got Skip Peck http://www.skippeckmusic.net/ to record a backing track.

Rhys

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thats one of my favourite tracks ever.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
He seems to be endorsing the Mauriat tenors as well. Anyone seen him playing one live?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
Not yet, but I hope to see him in London in a couple of weeks so will see.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
"Hi guys

My first post here. Just to say that I was in the fortunate position of being in a rehearsal with Mr Sheppard on Sunday.

He was playing a Mauriat, rather than his usual MkVI, and sounding as phenomenal as always !

Cheers

Dylan"

Posted in the "Andy Sheppard endorses Mauriat" thread.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nobby Keys said:
Just to say that I was in the fortunate position of being in a rehearsal with Mr Sheppard on Sunday.
Respect! :cool:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
davecoldron said:
Just to set the record straight, I was NOT there but Dylan was. I just quoted his post.

I personally have seen Andy play maybe half a dozen times and have always been thrilled. That was pre-Mauriat.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
OK - as promised. I saw Andy with his quartet at Pizza on the Park last night. Wonderful stuff. He was using his old Mk VI soprano, but the P Mauriat PMXT-66R tenor. The finish of the latter was the dark lacquer, though I have it on good authority he was alternating that with a gold-plate model earlier in the week. Looked like his usual mouthpieces.

Seems to be a clip of him playing it on the Mauriat website.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yeah, Andy Sheppard = awesome.

Songs with Legs is a great album. AS is such an imaginative and melodic improviser. Plus the aforementioned fantastic tone.

I've also got an older album Conversations In The Dark - also very good.

Pity he doesn't seem to get much recognition esp in USA.

If I could find more of his albums, I would buy them . . .

·
Registered
579 Posts
his eponymous first album is on Uk iTunes store for a fiver, (but not on USA iTunes-you can change your 'home' to the uk store)
and is just about the best thing he ever did. Real tenor fire, great rhythm section with a modern Brazilian feel & randy brecker too.
That album and his second "Introductions in the dark" are the two to go for, imho.

He was playing metal berg on selmer mk6 tenor back then. I've transcribed a few solo sections from those two LPs, but it's hard to get inside what he was doing. Hashish, mostly, I suspect. :tongue9:

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
There's a brilliant clip of Andy on youtube I just found. Sorry, I'm technologically incapable of doing the link but if you type "Now's the Time Andy Sheppard" you'll get some v interesting interview material and some fantastic playing. And, I mean, WHAT range of tone, even on the dratted soprano ;) And an artistic use of circular breathing! A master, I reckon.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Saw Andy twice in the past week - as potiphar said, he alternated between two different Mauriat tenors. When I saw him on Monday, he was sat on stage contemplating both of them...

AndyW said:
He was playing metal berg on selmer mk6 tenor back then. I've transcribed a few solo sections from those two LPs, but it's hard to get inside what he was doing. Hashish, mostly, I suspect. :tongue9:
At the Sunday gig he was a bit more talkative than usual, but his voice was sounding particularly gravelly. He ambled up to the mic and said 'This isn't an affected voice... Must have been something I... <long pause, twinkle in eye> smoked...' <stares into distance, vague smile> 'Back when I was a good smoker. Aaaah.'

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts