Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I've visited this site for research a few times over the years and decided to join recently. I've been playing and listening for over 40 years. Of all the many greats I have seen one of the most remarkable was a gig I caught by Andrew White in Washington DC about 20 years ago. People know Andrew White for his transcriptions of Trane solos but his own playing is almost unknown it seems. I was astounded at his virtuosity when I saw him. The other day I was telling a friend about it and looking on YouTube I found an example of some of his ridiculous combination of chops, creativity and soul. Have a listen. Andrew White surely deserves to be much better known.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
And his columns for Saxophone Journal were a marvel of insights.

I hope someday he collects them and publishes them in book form.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I read a reference to his transcriptions in Downbeat in the early '80's but all I could find was a reference to his abode being in. D.C. I found an address (I wasn't sure that it was his address) and took a long shot and wrote to him asking for a list of his transcriptions. He sent me a list as well as a short note thanking me for interest in his work. I bought a couple of transcriptions (copies made on that funky early Xerox paper that turns sepia in a few years). Fast forward 15+ years and I was in LV and learned that he was in town doing a tribute to Trane. The guy has serious chops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts