Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Sorry to hear of the passing of this great artist. I had the good fortune to see him perform both solo and with ensemble. His recordings and compostions are of lasting value.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
I felt Hill was much more deliberate in his approach than Cecil Taylor. Much more articulate as well. His classic albums with Blue Note showed just how much further arranged and composed jazz could go in a time when the free thing appeared to be the only way "out".

I had the good fortune to sit in on some of his classes and even play with him in Portland, OR and he was a wonderful man, teacher, and musician to learn from.

·
Registered
133 Posts
-"In a jazz world that often celebrates imitators, Hill stands as a genuine original," said the announcement accompanying his 2003 International Jazzpar Prize, given by a Danish organization to recognize an active jazz performer.-

-Signed by Blue Note’s legendary founder and producer Alfred Lion—who called him "my last great protégé"-

A master on all levels, celebrated by an amazing group of fans. I just wish that he would have received more mainstream recognition in his own country.

Kudos to Blue Note for the stream of releases these last few years.

I had the great opportunity to have some correspondence with Mr. Hill and had the chance to thank him for the impact that his music has had in my life.

Godspeed Maestro.

M.A. Cisneros

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot of people slept on this. My original post was nearly a week after the event. I don't understand why he wasn't better known - maybe his stock will rise now he's passed away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts