Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He tours with his orchestra named The Johann Strauss Orchestra. On the local PBS television station I watched a concert at Radio City Music Hall in NYC and witnessed a saxophonist with an awesome sound, and exhibiting advanced technique. Her name is Sanne Mestrom. She plays alto and soprano saxes exclusively. After a search I came across Andre Rieu's official website. Andre himself plays a 1667 Stradivarius violin but nothing specific about the other orchestra members axes. Couldn't tell for sure, on my television, but it appears that Ms Mestrom was playing a Selmer Paris Alto. Would anyone here happen to know what Sanne Mestrom's setup is?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Great orchestra! Look at the concerts from Europe and the crowds!!! I thought she played bassoon too. I wanted to go hear them when they came to town (I can walk to the hall) but $250 per person is a little above my budget (that is about what I pay for a horn).

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was a good show and a nice venue. Up to 60 members in the orchestra, depending on the size of the stage, according to his website. Ms. Mestrom could have been playing a new Yamaha Alto but the website does not mention if she plays a basson. The Orchestra also includes someone playing a synthesizer. I was at first disappointed that Lawrence Welk was pre-empted. I tuned in for "Champagne Music" because I've always been a fan of the sax section. :)

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
Are you guys putting us on? I've seen that bloke and his orchestra on public TV and his stuff is the moral equivalent of Kenny G, maybe worse. They put him on Saturday evenings during pledge drives - that ought to be enough to scare you off right there. And to think that a Stradivarius is being wasted on that garbage! I think I'm going to have to skip breakfast now.

If you need a Rieu to listen to, check out tenor saxophonist Yannick Rieu - especially his CD on the Victo label, Sweet Geom.

·
Registered
957 Posts
+1000 chitownjazz!

But ... DE GUSTIBUS ET COLORIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Andre and Kenny....

chitownjazz said:
...his stuff is the moral equivalent of Kenny G, maybe worse...
As I read the first few postings I wondered about his playing ability and thought "Gee, I bet he is the Violin's version of Kenny G". My parents have gone to see him and think he is the greatest thing ever! :shock:

So lets think about this.
He does have longish type hair. Does he or any of his family members (we can include his orchestra) throw rocks at his neighbors? He is Dutch and Kenny G is a dork... close enough.

This could be a coincidence... but I think not!

HUTMO

·
Banned
782 Posts
chitownjazz said:
Are you guys putting us on? I've seen that bloke and his orchestra on public TV and his stuff is the moral equivalent of Kenny G, maybe worse. They put him on Saturday evenings during pledge drives - that ought to be enough to scare you off right there. And to think that a Stradivarius is being wasted on that garbage! I think I'm going to have to skip breakfast now.
so it is... it´s musical junk!

:evil:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, okay. Thank you for having the decency to not include Lawrence Welk in your diatribes! :shock: :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was talkin' 'bout his sax section. :cool: If I were to lead a Society Band....

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, I didn't know about Johnny Hodges recording with the Welk orchestra. Some fabulous soloists have performed with that orchestra, though. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,337 Posts
yeah, Russ Klein on tenor sax usually sounded just great...very nice tone, characteristic solos, always wondered what he'd sound like if he really cut loose from the Welk 'box'.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've seen some of the Andre Rieu stuff on PBS, and my first thought was that it's like a cross between the Boston Pops, Lawrence Welk, and Yanni at the Acropolis. Not necessarily my cup o' tea, but it looks like the audiences are loving it.

Also, my (brand new!) wife is one of the local on-air folks for our local PBS fund drives, and she tells me that the A.R. shows always bring in tons of pledges.

I guess there's some kind of entertainment out there for everyone...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Rieu gets the light classics into the mainstream. Every community band should follow the format. Also this guy seems to speak the language of every country they play in.
Pete Fountain played with Welk in the 1950s and I think that made him get noticed. I liked the Welk band but I just can't put up with all the wholesome dancing and singing BUT these people made a lot more money than I have.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts