Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Composer, conductor, pianist, jazzer, and 4-time Oscar winner Andre Previn died in Manhattan at 89: https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture...previn-oscar-winning-composer-dies-89-n977826

"Music critics have made it quite clear," he once said, "that any composer who ever contributed a four-bar jingle to a film was to be referred to as a 'Hollywood composer' from then on, even if the rest of his output were to consist solely of liturgical organ sonatas."

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
For the non Brits - here's why he has a special place in the hearts of people over a certain age...

Not to mention Eric Morecambe, who plays "all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order"

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,058 Posts
That is such a great clip. That’s when TV was a lot of fun. I wish we had shows on television like that still where there were just a bunch of skits. I miss that stuff!

I have seen some stuff that those guys did with the Beatles when they were on their show, and it’s quite funny.
Thank you for that clip. Thank you for that clip.

Andre was an amazing musician!

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Previn had a nice tenure here as music director of the Pittsburgh Symphony. He even had a PBS TV show, "Previn and the Pittsburgh," featuring the orchestra.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,409 Posts
Another world,another age Mark-Morecambe & Wise were like Royalty over here,'everyone who was anyone'- or wanted to be 'someone' would kill to be on their show !

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Larry Dunlap posted on Facebook this morning that Andre Previn was his main influence as a young player. Sad to see another great one go... RIP Mr. Previn.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
1,000 Posts
Sorry to hear this. He was a great, great arranger, conductor, and composer. I have many versions including George Gershwin and Oscar Levant's, but for my money Andre Previn's London Symphony Orchestra recording of Gershwin's "Rhapsody In Blue" on EMI, 1971 is definitive. I practically wore out the vinyl when it first came out. You can throw in the "B" side "American In Paris" and "Concerto In F" too. Hollywood and the music world were enriched by his presence. Deserving of all the praise heaped on him

1 - 7 of 7 Posts