Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, does anyone know where these horns are or were made? Seems to me some years ago I went through their store in Anaheim and was told by their people that they were made in Taiwan but I'm not 100% sure on that. Also, any direct experience you could share would be great. I ask as I'm considering picking up a low cost bari and there's one for sale locally.

Registered
I checked the link provided in the Craigslist ad, and they do expressly say they are from Taiwan.
The company is from New Zealand, so not Anaheim California.

I have no experience with these horns. Maybe one of the members from New Zealand?
Pics on CL looked pretty good and the price is not bad.

From the ABI website:
Powerbeat Nickel Baritone Saxophone
Top quality intermediate saxophones from Taiwan. We've been importing these for over 15 years, and the quality, strength, sound and intonation are still untouchable.
Very popular model with schools, due to its super strong body and keys
Nickel plated body
Gold lacquered keys to low A

PRICING: $4,999.00

Discussion Starter #3
Huh, could of sworn they told me it was Anaheim Band Instrument鈥檚 (US) house brand.

Registered
Huh, could of sworn they told me it was Anaheim Band Instrument鈥檚 (US) house brand.
I just followed the link in the Craigslist ad. I don鈥檛 have independent knowledge of this brand or where they are based. Maybe they are both the same horns, but only the NZ website link was provided. Seemed odd, but that鈥檚 what the seller provided.

Forum Contributor 2015-2017
Many, many years ago ABI was a storefront run by Doug Brown.
Yes, in Anaheim.
No showroom, no displays, no rooms to test play instruments.
Just a front counter and DB and a small warehouse.

But very good deals on top line instruments.

dsm

Discussion Starter #8
When I saw them probably 10+ years ago, Anaheim Band had an actual storefront in Anaheim and a decent service department. Seller thinks the horn was made in Taiwan but not marked as such. Probably not such a big deal, as there were a few brands sourced in Taiwan like Prestini and others that didn't put where they were made on the horn. Back then made in Taiwan didn't mean what it does today and they wanted to suggest Made in the USA, France, Germany, anywhere but Taiwan or China.

Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
Not for $5K when I can get Kessler's 'Solist' bari for half that. And you can try them out in Vegas.

Discussion Starter #10
Not for $5K when I can get Kessler's 'Solist' bari for half that. And you can try them out in Vegas.
With you on that! Horn I鈥檓 considering is second hand and seller is asking $1800, about $800 note than I鈥檇 want to pay.

Forum Contributor 2015-2017
Jerry, you should try a Kessler Solist.
Just got mine from the body shop,
And it is pretty terrific.

dat
sax
man

Discussion Starter #12
Do doubt that they are Steve, just trying to get into a bari without digging too deep. $2500 is too deep.

Discussion Starter #14
Yep, seems like a lot of that has gone on in recent years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts