Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is a published interview from a while back that I've had up on my website -- so some folks may have seen it there. Now I've given it a new sob story introduction and moved it to my jazz blog, where it belongs...

Jamey is arguably the most important jazz educator ... in history! In this article, he says some surprising things about jazz education that remain absolutely timely today. He also talks about how he never intended to became Mr. Play-Along.

If you use his stuff, I think you'll find it interesting! It's here: Harder Bop.

·
2,870 Posts
Great article and I respect him for saying he's a part of the problem himself. It's still very hard for me to learn to trust my ears more. I really need to work on that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Kelly- PERFECT. Great and fantastic. You can tell I liked it yes ?? LOL...:bluewink:

What Jamey said there I have felt for years. A_missing scene_ in a way for sure.
In a fair world, there would be MORE sessions,rehearsal bands < remember
them?? > more intermediate gigs for the younger cats to gettheir feet wet and way more things going on. If a person can't see that, or don't feel it then they are jusT not leaving the house enough/and connected to reality. Period.

I always thought Aebersold was also a very smart guy and humble. This interview is so good on that tip.

Kelly thank you...this was a blessing. I hope everyone enjoys it and TRYS to be part of the solution.

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2016
902 Posts
I always thought Aebersold was also a very smart guy and humble. This interview is so good on that tip.
I happened to attend Jamey's Summer Schools three times on a row and was struck by the way he manages to demand - from faculty and students as well - adherence to the main principles he advocates (mainly strict chord-scale relation) while repeatedly advocating more intuitive approach through intense ear-training, listening to jazz - mainly bop ! - masters, etc. Doing this with a very pleasant critical distance. This is extremely well documented in this interview. Thanks again for doing and posting it.
Nevertheless, I'll try different camp this year... anybody went to the San Diego Uni camp ?
J

·
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, piwikiwi, Jacques, and Tim!

And piwikiwi, regarding this: "It's still very hard for me to learn to trust my ears more. I really need to work on that" -- a friend of mine, the first call jazz trumpeter in town, says he spent a good year or so just grabbing any random Aebersold disc that had tunes he didn't know, starting on the first track and playing through the whole disc WITHOUT the book!

He said that work really paid off -- and he's got such huge ears I've started doing it myself!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts