Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any other fans of this genre here?
This great collaboration between Ali Akbar Khan and John Handy is an excellent introduction.
Below it is a new video that prompted the thread with Chris Potter playing with Zakir Hussain and Dave Holland.
There is much more including the early and essential Joe Harriot recordings.
And my former teacher, the late Mel Martin also playing with Zakir.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,069 Posts
Awesome! I look forward to listening to all of these clips you've provided.

I don't know if you're aware of Arun Luthra in New York, but he's a great jazz saxophonist of Indian heritage who's written and developed a lot of music fusing jazz and Indian classical. Give his website a look, if nothing else, he's always doing something cool,

On the more old-school tip, I've always been a fan of John McLaughlin and Zakir Hussain's group Shakti.

I got to see the "Remember Shakti" group in 2000 in Dallas, it was one of the best musical entities I've ever seen.

Cool thread!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I 'll check out Arun, I was hoping to hear of some new cats.
I saw the original Shakti and they were incendiary, what a show they put on.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,736 Posts
Yes, definitely, going back to Harriott and Mayer. Someone years ago told me it sounded like Indian supermarket music, and maybe some of it does, but I don't care, once Joe Harriott comes soaring out of the ensemble any saccharine tendency is obliterated.

The collaboration between Rudresh Mahanthappa and Kadri Gopalnath, Kinsmen, is really good if you haven't heard it yet.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, definitely, going back to Harriott and Mayer. Someone years ago told me it sounded like Indian supermarket music, and maybe some of it does, but I don't care, once Joe Harriott comes soaring out of the ensemble any saccharine tendency is obliterated.

The collaboration between Rudresh Mahanthappa and Kadri Gopalnath, Kinsmen, is really good if you haven't heard it yet.
I agree so much. Harriot was very original and inventive and I wish there were more like him.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
George Brooks, anyone?
I'm a big fan, I have a couple of his cd's from some time back. Saw him play in Oakland a couple of times way back when. He is a brilliant player with all the skills who definitely goes his own way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! He was actually my teacher for a year or so in high school. I wish I wasn't so young and adolescent at the time, and appreciated the experience more instead of embracing the "high" in high school... But alas, hindsight is 20-20.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts