Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keep in mind that this flute came to me AFTER it was at another tech where they paid GOOD MONEY to have it FIXED.

Customer said that it played worse when it came back from being "fixed" by this other store.

I popped off the 2 pads here and this is what I found..

.... Oh did I mention that the headjoint cork was so loose it fell out on it's own - which was probably the main issue why this flute was brought in in the first place.

Oh ya -- They "re=padded" the flute - every pad is like this!

I just have to laugh because If I thought anymore about it I would have to call up the place that did this and scream for an hour.

Charlie

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,329 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,049 Posts
That's the first time I see a repair so bad that the keys become blurry!

FWIW, if this is a regular digital camera, try to see if you have a Macro mode, usually a flower icon, which will make photos from close distance much clearer. If it's a type of phone camera or other type where this is not an option, nevermind... I just mention this because, being a lousy photographer and pretty ignorant about cameras, I didn't know I had a Macro mode until someone pointed that out...

I have a page on my website with articles about bad repairs. Sometimes it's not just bad, it's really puzzling how they didn't notice... Like the bottom pad in the first photo here http://www.nitailevi.com/tikunim_meolam_aher/pads_not_closing/pads_not_closing.htm where the resonator was hitting the tone hole!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
Terrible work,especially on a reasonably straightforward job. Cant see the logic--- if there was any---in doing this.

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@clarnibass:

This was just my Cell Phone camera - not the greatest - but all I had on me when I was doing the repair (quick and easy picture taking) - doesn't do close ups well. Most of the Important Stuff I take pics of I do with the Digital SLR I keep at home.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Amazing isnt it, now how long did it take them to assemble that stack without glue as well.

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
these had the plastic snaps to hold in the pads - and with so much behind them - they did crazy glue a few. (lucky I stock replacements)

What I didn't get, is once the shims were removed, the pad was MUCH closer to seating. It was like they worked harder to make it worse.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,702 Posts
Some people dont understand the basics, as ive said before, flutes done well, are the hardest instrument to repair.

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
agreed!

·
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
um - once again - CELL PHONE CAMERA!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
I just have to laugh because If I thought anymore about it I would have to call up the place that did this and scream for an hour.
Watch this from 3:00 onwards - I think Jonah feels your pain, only more so as he saw something that made him scream for much longer:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts