Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I drove down to Vineland to have Keith Bradbury aka Mojobari work on my backup bari mouthpiece. The goal was to get it playing somewhere like my go-to, then tweaking it from there to reach a middle-ground and hopefully make it my number one. Success! Keith's house is very cool and the whole situation gives off good vibes. He talks you through the process and shows you how it's done. I brought a little notebook and took notes! Also very informative guy, reads up a lot on engineering and the tech side of things, and that certainly goes into what he does, along with a whole lot of playing experience in the past. But in the end, in his words, "it's an art" as well as a science. And you can really see it in the way he eyes up the mouthpiece and does the final finishing work on the rails and the tip. It's like some kind of savant thing going on, he can SEE the bumps and uneven spots in the mouthpiece! We're talking thousandths of an inch here folks!

Anyhow it was great to have this type of work done in person. In the past I've had some other refacers do work for me via mail, and been slightly disappointed with the response of those mouthpieces. I can't help but think that it would have been a much better experience if I were there in person, to A-B mouthpieces and go back and forth, making suggestions on where to take the work, playtesting it after every few major strokes of the mouthpieces to make sure it's going in the right direction for me. This is exactly what happened at Keith's house, and it was a great experience. We were able to dial in the mouthpiece to exactly what I was looking for, not so much a "I want a .120 tip!" as a "the low register is still a little bright for me, maybe darken it up a little and we'll take it from there." A few back and forths and the thing is a total killer, exactly what I was looking for. Compared it to my main to make sure and played a bunch of different reeds on it, old and new, just to make sure we had it right.

Overall Keith was very accomodating and his whole family is musical too. He has also made a trumpet with a sax mouthpiece and it sounds pretty good and plays in tune!! Never would've thought such a thing could be done until I played it for myself.

If you live in or near south Jersey and would like some work done on your mouthpieces, this is definitely the way to do it! Can't recommend it enough, a total A+ experience and I hope to go back if I ever need blueprinting + modification on backup pieces done in the future.

·
Distinguished SOTW member
4,673 Posts
I wish we had someone like Mojo near where I live.
That's the way to go if you want your mouthpiece refaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts